Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical & Recessed Lighting Question

Thinking about replacing the ceiling fan/light combos in the house with
recessed lighting. I'm guessing the BRs will get four 4" cans in place
of the fan/light combo. The combo has 4 bulbs coming out of it. Will
I need to run more wiring to the recessed light cans, or can I just
"split" the existing wiring four ways? If I can split them, how do I
do that?

Is it difficult enough where I'd have to hire an Electrician to run the
wires and then I do the installs?
I'm also hoping I don't need to add anything to the electric panel.

Last house, I hired this out and it cost about $90/light for the
installation of about sixteen 6" and twelve 4" cans, including new
light switches and a few dimmers. The price didn't include patch/paint
repair. Did I get ripped off?

Any help on the DIY install would be greratly appreciated too.

Thanks everyone!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

What you paid is considerably less than I would charge. If you want to do
this yourself, you first have to determine what is already on the existing
lighting circuits in these rooms. A 15 amp lighting circuit is good for
around 1500 watts, so you need to calculate what you have and what you want
to add. If the circuits are adequate, you would remove the feed to the
existing lighting outlet and run it to the nearest recessed light location.
From that location, you run a cable to the next location and so on

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
I'm assuming "BR" means bedroom not bathroom

I had not thought of that. You may well be right. The question could
be read ether way. In any case my response only applies to bathrooms. I
would prefer cans to fan-lights in a bedroom.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Thinking about replacing the ceiling fan/light combos in the house
with recessed lighting. I'm guessing the BRs will get four 4" cans
in place of the fan/light combo. The combo has 4 bulbs coming out
of it. Will I need to run more wiring to the recessed light cans,
or can I just "split" the existing wiring four ways? If I can split
them, how do I do that?

Is it difficult enough where I'd have to hire an Electrician to run
the wires and then I do the installs?
I'm also hoping I don't need to add anything to the electric panel.

Last house, I hired this out and it cost about $90/light for the
installation of about sixteen 6" and twelve 4" cans, including new
light switches and a few dimmers. The price didn't include
patch/paint repair. Did I get ripped off?

Any help on the DIY install would be greratly appreciated too.

Thanks everyone!

You may want to check local codes. Many places require those
vents. Taking them out could cause some problems if you ever go to
sell. It might even cause a problem if you get an inspector in
there some time and they notice it. Especially if you did not offer
them a cup of coffee when they got there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

One thing I want to add: Can lights are heat hells. One thing this
often means is a specific temperature rating of the supply wiring - it can
be quite high.

Unless local codes require worse, it is permissible to have a foot or
two of high temperature wiring from the fixture to a junction box that is
fed by "more normal" wiring.

One more note: I think it's NEC although I am not sure it's not a local
building code, but I did recently read that all permanently installed
wiring in a branch circuit has to be identical in maximum allowable
overcurrent protection. If the circuit has 14 AWG copper wire, don't
splice in any 12 AWG copper wire. I suspect the reasoning is to prevent
in the future someone from replacing a fuse/breaker with one of amp rating
too high for some of the wiring on the basis of seeing only the higher
allowable amp wiring in a circuit with diverse allowable amp wiring.
Don't worry if the wire that comes with the fixture is different as long
as the fixture is UL listed. Just don't add any wire different from the
existing "permanently installed wiring" in size or maximum allowable
overcurrent protection.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

I'm considering installing recessed fixtures where there is an
accessible attic above where drywall enclosures between and over the
ceiling joists prevent direct contact between insulation and the
fixture. Is that a good idea?

Electrical question: a gfci AND a lighting circuit Home Repair 4 December 9th 05 08:17 PM
Lighting electrical question jack Home Repair 5 December 11th 04 02:07 PM
Recessed lighting. rw Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 05:21 PM
Recessed Lighting TrueWest Home Repair 2 November 18th 04 02:07 AM
Recessed Lighting wiring question Philip Home Repair 5 June 12th 04 12:45 AM