Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electrical & Recessed Lighting Question

What you paid is considerably less than I would charge. If you want to do
this yourself, you first have to determine what is already on the existing
lighting circuits in these rooms. A 15 amp lighting circuit is good for
around 1500 watts, so you need to calculate what you have and what you want
to add. If the circuits are adequate, you would remove the feed to the
existing lighting outlet and run it to the nearest recessed light location.
From that location, you run a cable to the next location and so on

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thinking about replacing the ceiling fan/light combos in the house with
recessed lighting. I'm guessing the BRs will get four 4" cans in place
of the fan/light combo. The combo has 4 bulbs coming out of it. Will
I need to run more wiring to the recessed light cans, or can I just
"split" the existing wiring four ways? If I can split them, how do I
do that?

Is it difficult enough where I'd have to hire an Electrician to run the
wires and then I do the installs?
I'm also hoping I don't need to add anything to the electric panel.

Last house, I hired this out and it cost about $90/light for the
installation of about sixteen 6" and twelve 4" cans, including new
light switches and a few dimmers. The price didn't include patch/paint
repair. Did I get ripped off?

Any help on the DIY install would be greratly appreciated too.

Thanks everyone!