Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why should I upgrade from fuses to circuit breakers? (and spend $1000-$1500)

John Gilmer wrote:
Contact your insurance company, you might find they charge you a
little extra since you have fuses. Also check with your accountant if
there are any rebate, or tax benifits to upgrading your homes
equipment.

I have NEVER had an insurance company ask about whether there were CBs or
fuses.

Perhaps if a company had some bad experience with fuses they might get
particular but folks who can "live with" fuses don't tend to stress the
power system in the first place.

Ahh google fuses and insurance. it tlks of insurance hassles mostly for
new customers

people with fuses do sress them, mostly by overfusing installing
heavier uses than sae to minimize them blowing.

just living stresses electrical systems, at the time fuses boxes were
popualr we didnt have nearly so many electrical appliances, most
entrances were 60 amp 4 fuses. heck today you need more than that just
for the kitchen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jan 2007 13:29:48 -0800, "
wrote:

well arc fault breakers can prevent fires.....

is that not another reason to upgrade? safety?

i know folks who buy new cars to get air bags and other safety
equiptement.

imho:

Good point! Service panels are cheaper to replace than cars, and
should last a heck of lot longer than a car. Also, homes have more
money invested in them, than the typical car, so more to lose.

I would upgrade the panel for piece of mind. My home was build over a
decade ago, and I put in AFCI's on all the bedroom circuits, so to me
they are worth it.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info