Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI "downstream" question

Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI
outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet
if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will
the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI
outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet
if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will
the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary

Yes. A GFCI outlet will protect everything downstream of it if properly
wired.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the outlets downstream are wired to the "load" side of the GFCI outlet,
they will all be protected by it

"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI
outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet
if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will
the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

yes and no, it can be wired either way:
http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm
and:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

G Mulcaster wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI
outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet
if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will
the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 02:08:04 GMT, G Mulcaster
wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI
outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet
if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will
the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary

IMHO:

This information is detailed out in the instructions that come with
the GFCI receptacle. Remember to follow the instructions in wiring
you circuit.

Now simple answers, if wired correctly, the GFCI receptacle, and all
outlets wired away from it, on the load side, should be all protected.
This means if there is a trip, the GFCI and all GFCI supplied
receptacles will deenergize. So you are very correct in your
assumptons if all works correctly.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

G Mulcaster wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI
outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet
if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will
the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary

Either way. If you think about it, electrically the GFI has nothing to
do with the outlet, it's just looking at the currents in the wiring;
it's just convenient to package the GIF with an outlet which is hooked
up downstream of the actual GFI, in one outlet-sized package. So
they're nice enough to provide terminals on both the upsteam and the
downstream side, so you can daisy chain either way. For instance, you
may not want to hook Cousin Lou's iron lung up where it can be knocked
offline by your hairdrier with the deteriorating insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI
protected.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hadn't thought about load/line
sides to a GFI. I will certainly read the instructions when I do the
install.

Regards, Gary