Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fixing a Dewalt DW945

I have a Dewalt DW945 cordless drill, that I had to take apart to fix.
I couldn't get the chuck off, so I had to pry it open at the back, and
I had a hard time putting the case back togther. It seems to be back
together, but the chuck doesn't turn when the motor does anymore,
so I guess I should take it apart again. This time I would like to
take the chuck and the ring behind it off first but I don't know how.

There is no screw to loosen in the bottom of the chuck (unless it is
missing already), and I see no way to hold the shaft in place while I
turn the chuck. I don't even remember which way to turn the chuck to
unscrew it. Clockwise maybe, when looking from the front??

(I've looked at the Dewalt site and elsewhere on the web to try to
answer these questions, but no luck.):

Also what is a versa-chuck? I guess it has something to do with the
numbers 0-11 around the ring behind the chuck. I know I don't have
another one, and I know I want one, but I don't know what it is.

Also, it has both drill and screwdriver settings with a slide thing on
the top, but it also has I and II settings with a slide thing on the
bottom, and I don't know what those mean.

FA: DeWalt Cordless Tools, DeWalt 8" Radial Arm Saw Marty Escarcega Woodworking 0 April 25th 06 10:50 AM
Dewalt SimonJ UK diy 38 October 11th 05 08:44 AM
DeWalt RBW Metalworking 18 May 31st 05 06:00 AM
DeWalt 746 News Woodworking 3 April 12th 05 08:02 PM
Dewalt or Makita? Jon Read UK diy 7 August 18th 03 10:00 AM