Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer GE not heating

Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

* Three thermostats, what I'd call thermal cutouts. All of them
read 0.5 ohms.
* Two heater elements, both about 15 ohms
* Dryer is getting 240 volts, as measured at the plug with the
unit running
* Motor spins fine, drum tumbles. Some lint, but not bad.
* With dryer running, (and drum out) the element reads 120 volts
to ground, but less than one volt from one end of element to the
other, or any combination of leads
* The connection block where the heavy dryer whip (cord) looks
fine, no signs of wires burnt off at the connection block.

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

* Three thermostats, what I'd call thermal cutouts. All of them
read 0.5 ohms.
* Two heater elements, both about 15 ohms
* Dryer is getting 240 volts, as measured at the plug with the
unit running
* Motor spins fine, drum tumbles. Some lint, but not bad.
* With dryer running, (and drum out) the element reads 120 volts
to ground, but less than one volt from one end of element to the
other, or any combination of leads
* The connection block where the heavy dryer whip (cord) looks
fine, no signs of wires burnt off at the connection block.

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

--

Christopher A. Young

There is a switch in the motor that holds the element off if the motor does
not start. Did you check it?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

In 40+ yrs w/ GE dryers, I have _never_ found the symptom of "runs, but
no heat" to be anything other than the elements. Doesn't mean there
isn't a case, but I'd look again.

Don't know where the voltages were measured, but it is possible there's
a break in one of the leads to the elements themselves if there is one
side of the two elements hot but not the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like something internal to the dryer's 240 VAC to Heater unit. Could
be some other switch or safety disconnect inside but if you have the ability
to measure (very carefully and safely) the 220 VAC to the heating unit I
would do that and then start working backwards if you don't have the 220
Volts and suspect the elements or Heating unit itself if you do.

No expert, by any means, just trying to help. Tremendous care though
working around electricity and don't touch another appliance or pipe while
your touching the dryer or taking your measurements.

On 12/31/06 5:50 PM, in article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

* Three thermostats, what I'd call thermal cutouts. All of them
read 0.5 ohms.
* Two heater elements, both about 15 ohms
* Dryer is getting 240 volts, as measured at the plug with the
unit running
* Motor spins fine, drum tumbles. Some lint, but not bad.
* With dryer running, (and drum out) the element reads 120 volts
to ground, but less than one volt from one end of element to the
other, or any combination of leads
* The connection block where the heavy dryer whip (cord) looks
fine, no signs of wires burnt off at the connection block.

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only thing I can figure, is the power wires from the swich to
the elements, or maybe the three position heat switch.

The elements read about 15 ohms, and about 30 ohms reading both
elements.

I got 120 volts to ground at all three element connectors (those
round push-ons). But near to zero from one end of the elements to
the other.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no

heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

In 40+ yrs w/ GE dryers, I have _never_ found the symptom of

"runs, but
no heat" to be anything other than the elements. Doesn't mean

there
isn't a case, but I'd look again.

Don't know where the voltages were measured, but it is possible

there's
a break in one of the leads to the elements themselves if there

is one
side of the two elements hot but not the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't know there was such a switch. And, there are several
wires that go to the motor. No, I didn't check that switch,
didn't even know there was one.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Big Al" wrote in message

There is a switch in the motor that holds the element off if

the motor does
not start. Did you check it?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

* Three thermostats, what I'd call thermal cutouts. All of them
read 0.5 ohms.
* Two heater elements, both about 15 ohms
* Dryer is getting 240 volts, as measured at the plug with the
unit running
* Motor spins fine, drum tumbles. Some lint, but not bad.
* With dryer running, (and drum out) the element reads 120 volts
to ground, but less than one volt from one end of element to the
other, or any combination of leads
* The connection block where the heavy dryer whip (cord) looks
fine, no signs of wires burnt off at the connection block.

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

My parents had an old dryer which would not heat if the vent was
plugged up. The dryer's lint trap was clean, so the alarm didn't go
off, but because the exhaust hole was plugged up, the dryer wouldn't
heat. I'm guessing it was a safety feature, but I couldn't find it
documented in the manual. I cleaned out the vent and the dryer heated
up just fine. Of course, YMMV.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.
GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

Curious--ever find the problem/solution?