Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

Default More nail gun questions

I thank those who provided me with some input about nail guns but have a few
more question.

From what I gather, there are about 4 or so types of nail guns. I assume
they are Brad nailer, Finish Nailer, Framing nailer and Stapler, or am I
off? If so, what differs with a brad nailer and a finishing nailer? Ok, I
know the nail, therefore, I suppose I should ask what size do brad nails
come in as well as finish nails, etc.

I have read a few recommendations of a 15, 16 or 18 ga nailers. Does this
mean the gun can only use that guage and nothing more or it can use up to a
15, 16 or 18 ga?

I know a few of you recommended kits. Therefore , it's obvious to assume one
gun cannot handle all nails. Would a kit with 3 guns, for example, handle
all ranges of nails. Not that I would always use all types of nails, but
it's nice to know I can.

I just hate to make a purchase and realize it's not what I am looking for. I
want to know I have the wide range of use.

Thanks again for all the help.

Happy New Years to you and yours.

Be Safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

If your doing trim around the house, both a finish and brad nailer can be
handy. The finish gun (I use a senco 15 gauge angled) to install doors,
base, casing and crown. It shoots a 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" 15 gauge nail. There
are also 16 gauge finish nailers that shoot about the same lengh in just a
slightly narrower "T" nail. The brad gun (18 gauge) comes in handy for
nailing the side of the casing that meets the door jamb, and other small
items where a finish nailer would be too large, or the larger nail may split
smaller pieces. Mine uses 5/8" to 1 1/4" 18 gauge brads, but you can get
guns that shoot up to 2" brads I believe. I also have a micro pinner that
shoots 1/2" to 1" 23 gauge pins for very delicate work. It's more of a
speciality gun and probably wouldn't be necessary for basic stuff around the
house. The guns can only use one gauge each, but different legnths are
availiable in each gauge. If you also need a compressor, the kits from
Porter Cable sold at most home centers are a good buy and can get you
started. I probably use my stapler the least, mainly for stapling up 1/4"
ply for soffits or cabinet backs. What projects do you have that require a
gun?--dave
"SBH" wrote in message
news:Lc6dnWXuSaFuqAXYnZ2dnUVZ_sKunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I thank those who provided me with some input about nail guns but have a
few more question.

From what I gather, there are about 4 or so types of nail guns. I assume
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

About twice a year I have been doing renovations to each room in my house.
The current room is the computer room which after removing the old wood
paneling walls, I painted, refinished hardwood floors, installed stained
window and door trims, installed a new closet prehung door and will be doing
the same with the main entrance door. But the same has been done in other
rooms and I expect to do more work in my next spare room the same as the
comp room, then the kitchen, upstairs, deck, then bathroom, or whatever one
I feel like doing next. Therefore, with what I have done and with what's to
come, I realized the nail gun would be beneficial since I'm tired of doing
some manual hammering at all angles, especially upside down.

Thanks again

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message What projects do you have
that require a
gun?--dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
news:Lc6dnWXuSaFuqAXYnZ2dnUVZ_sKunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I thank those who provided me with some input about nail guns but have a
few more question.

From what I gather, there are about 4 or so types of nail guns. I assume
[...]

Decide on what your needs are and buy the corresponding kit/ gun(s). I wish
that I hadn't been so green when I started buying equipment. I started with
a Harbor Freight18 gauge stapler/ brad nailer. It's OK for crude work
because its dual function leaves a crease in the wood when driving brads.
Pretty nasty looking. A single purpose gun wouldn't do that. For my needs
I would have gone with a 15 or 16 gauge and an 18 gauge. Seldom use the
staples. The 15 and 16 are about the diameter of 4d (d='s penny) finish
nails - go to the hardware dept and look at them. Hey, better yet, open a
box of each of the gauge sizes to see what they look like. Although, I
don't often see both in the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message

From what I gather, there are about 4 or so types of nail guns. I assume
they are Brad nailer, Finish Nailer, Framing nailer and Stapler, or am I
off?

Pin nailer and roofing nailer too. They are more specialized.

If so, what differs with a brad nailer and a finishing nailer? Ok, I know
the nail, therefore, I suppose I should ask what size do brad nails come
in as well as finish nails, etc.

Brans are thinner and have a much smaller head. Used for tacking things
together and they are easily pulled apart. Brads do come in 2", but most
are much shorter.

I have read a few recommendations of a 15, 16 or 18 ga nailers. Does this
mean the gun can only use that guage and nothing more or it can use up to
a 15, 16 or 18 ga?

One or the other. 18 ga is more brad size, so use a 15 or 16 for finish
workl

I know a few of you recommended kits. Therefore , it's obvious to assume
one gun cannot handle all nails. Would a kit with 3 guns, for example,
handle all ranges of nails. Not that I would always use all types of
nails, but it's nice to know I can.

It will cover 98% of you small nail needs.

You'll also find the compressor hand to have for other uses.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:12:59 -0500, "SBH"
wrote:

I thank those who provided me with some input about nail guns but have a few
more question.

From what I gather, there are about 4 or so types of nail guns. I assume
[...]

I like to get the feel of tools and inspect them before I buy. You
could visit a tool corral in HD or Lowes and get a hands on feel of
the tool. It may help you decide.

Besides the nailers, I use air tools on small projects, i.e., air
ratchet, cut off tool, quart paint spray guns.... It you ever need
air in a tire, you got it.

When I bought my Porter Gable I only can with two guns. Now they have
more guns, longer hoses and a tool bag in some kits.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
news:Lc6dnWXuSaFuqAXYnZ2dnUVZ_sKunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I thank those who provided me with some input about nail guns but have a
few more question.

From what I gather, there are about 4 or so types of nail guns. I assume
they are Brad nailer, Finish Nailer, Framing nailer and Stapler, or am I
off? If so, what differs with a brad nailer and a finishing nailer? Ok, I
know the nail, therefore, I suppose I should ask what size do brad nails
come in as well as finish nails, etc.

Finish nails are typically larger than brads.

I have read a few recommendations of a 15, 16 or 18 ga nailers. Does this
mean the gun can only use that guage and nothing more or it can use up to
a 15, 16 or 18 ga?

Guns are usually good for only one gage of fastener.

I know a few of you recommended kits. Therefore , it's obvious to assume
one gun cannot handle all nails. Would a kit with 3 guns, for example,
handle all ranges of nails. Not that I would always use all types of
nails, but it's nice to know I can.

Yes, a kit would be one way to go if you wanted more versitility.

I just hate to make a purchase and realize it's not what I am looking for.
I want to know I have the wide range of use.

For what you describe, I still recommend an angled 15ga finish nailer. I
love mine, and
never found myself wishing that I got a brad nailer instead.

Thanks again for all the help.

Happy New Years to you and yours.

Be Safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote on 31 Dec 2006:

Pin nailer and roofing nailer too. They are more specialized.

Also, a palm nailer and a flooring nailer.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote on 31 Dec 2006:

I just hate to make a purchase and realize it's not what I am
looking for. I want to know I have the wide range of use.

I aqgree with others' recommendations to start with a finish
nailer. Real finish carpenters will often recommend a 16 gauge,
but I've found that a 15 works fine. The main difference is the
size of the hole you have to fill after the nail goes in. And as
Dave said, it's easier to split a thin piece of wood with the
larger nail.

I'd offer one additional thought, and that's that you should get a
gun on which you can turn the "bounce nail" feature off until you
get very familiar with the gun -- and even then, there are some
jobs on which you won't need it. Carelessness while bounce nailing
often has some nasty consequences.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address

More nail gun questions SBH Woodworking 12 January 3rd 07 02:39 AM
16 ga. nail gun pegleg Woodworking 13 December 10th 06 03:32 AM
Nail gun questions Raffo Woodworking 17 June 20th 06 04:26 PM
Nail-gun questions Gary A. Gorgen Metalworking 20 April 27th 05 02:16 PM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM