Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reading water meter for EBMUD

I have a broken water main and until I get it repaired I'm evidently
going to have to turn off the water at the meter during periods when I'm
not in need of supply. Getting it repaired looks to be impossible until
after the holiday weekend. The leaked looked pretty tame a couple of
days ago but I think it's worsened considerably. A temporary clamp was
put on the pipe, but it's effect is diminishing rapidly, have no idea
why.

Anyway, I just went out to my meter and timed the advance. I have one of
the Straight-Reading meters shown he

http://www.ebmud.com/services/accoun...er/default.htm

In a minute, the clock-like hand advances 8 of the smallest shown
increments, or 0.8 of whatever that meter represents. It obviously
doesn't represent a cubic foot, because the number below (8171 in the
illustration) did not advance.

I just called EBMUD emergency (I'm in Berkeley, CA) and the guy said
he's only qualified to dispatch a repair person and doesn't know
anything about reading the meters. The information at the above URL
doesn't indicate how the dial that I'm reading corresponds to cubic
feet. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Dan