Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brads for brad nailer

My girlfriend gave me a brad nailer for Christmas. It was purchased
from Overstock.com and is some sort of Chinese import (the name on the
box is Grand Rapids Industrial). The documentation says nothing about
what brand of fasteners to use with the tool and no fasteners came with
it.

I went to the local Lowes and purchased a package of 1-5/8" Bostich
brads, which say they work with Bostich, Porter Cable, Senco and Accuset
nailers. Unfortunately, they do not fit my off-brand nailer. Almost,
but not quite. The head of the brad is slightly taller (a few
thousandths of an inch), than the corresponding slot in the faceplate of
the tool.

Can anyone who is familiar with the various brad nailers offer any
insight into whether or not such small differences exist between
fasteners from different manufacturers? I would think not, and suspect
that this particular nailer is simply out of tolerance.

Jim S.

--
Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via email.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Sculley wrote:
[...]

Hi Jim,

Two things to look for when buying nails. The gauge and the angle.
Brads are the thinner gauage and normally a straight. If not they are
angled 20 degrees. I would assume that 1 5/8 are trim nails and not
brad. If you look for 1" nail they will be brad nails.

-Lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim Sculley wrote:
[...]

brad nails are usually 16 gauge and 18 gauge
5/8"-1 5/8"

try the 18 gauge porta cable brads
they fit most brad guns

bostich only retrofits a few brad guns
and they are different than porta cable in length

angle nails are for finish guns not brad guns

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Sculley, Monte wrote:
Brad nails are usually 18 gauge most of my cheap ones are, some nailers are 16
gauge some straight and some angled, there are even 23 gauge pinners, all of
witch i own. Now that I have muddied the waters completely. _/*Most*/_ cheap
are 18 gauge brads are fairly universal some may not accept 1-5/8" some are
limited to 1-1/4" some will take up to 2". The least expensive ones on
Overstock.com only take up to 1-1/4".

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-180198-.htm