Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

Sorry for the rebate woes.

You are finding out like most of us of the "scam" of rebates.
There is one company that processes them, it's in Floridea, that is
notorious for doing as you and most all others say.

I've had trouble with 80% of rebates.
100% from one computer chain & their use of the above company.

Finally, after years of fighting and this last round where I lost over
$700 in rebates, I've learned my lesson. --don't buy on a rebate
unless you pretty certain it will go through. Check who is handling
the rebate. do a Google to find the clearing house & possibly store
that has the worst track record.

Especially, check the clearing house. If it goes there, no matter how
good the deal--you're not likely to get it, even with photocopies of
everything sent, a post office receipt of sending/receiving.

When you have two rebates, a manufacturer and a store, both asking for
the original UPC, send the original UPC to the manufacturer and a copy
for the store rebate, stating that the original went to the
manufacturer.

I thought I could beat the system. This last go around has finally
taught me, there's no way to prove anything they say that causes the
rejection is not true. And so, you lose. --especially with the most
notorious of rebate clearing houses.

I've complained to the store, the manufacturer, the BBB, the FTC,
threatened to take them to court--except it'd cost more to go through
that and all the hassell than the rebate is worth, at least most of the
time. A few times this has worked.

One time, I even got an email from a manufacturer who said they had
found my rebate and it was in order, noticed it hadn't been paid and
sent me a check. That took a year. But they initiated it, after I
gave up. Good for them.

Sometimes, if it's not the place in the South, you can get your rebate
after several tries. The longest it's taken me has been 1 1/2 years.
The rebate(s), about 12, that cost me so much, a few went through, but
with the majority went to the Florida company. Of all my rebates going
there, every one was rejected, while the others either went through the
first time or after I sent them photocopies of what I sent in
origingally. But loosing $700, taught me I'm not going to play this
game again.

I'm surprised that the courts have rulled that it is binding. I had
heard that before, but it didn't do any good. I hope this time it
sticks.

I thought a rebate was a binding contract made with the store, too.
But if you read the fine print on nearly all, it will say something
like: rebate is payable, subject to availability; that the program can
be ended at any time; "which way the wind blows;" what have
you?--nothing.

About all you can do, unless you can take them to court is complain,
complain, complain to the store, the rebate company, with letters,
email, telephone calls.

1) talk to the store manager
2) find out the name of the CEO and send a personal letter to him/her.
3) after you hear back, if you hear back, file a complaint with the BBB
4) at the same time you do #3, send another letter to the President of
the company, explaining what has transpired and now you have filed
complaints against them with the BBB and are about to file with the
FTC.
5) file a complaint with the national BBB (who will send it back to the
local)
6) file a complaint with the FTC
7) go to court

I hope it works out for you. It may.
But if it went to Florida, it's very doubtful. --at least that's my
experience.

Bob T

Tony Hwang wrote:
John wrote:

I know that the institution of rebates is meant to rip you off so I'm
quite anal about paying attention to the details and ALWAYS sending in
the rebate with delivery confirmation. The delivery confirmation at
least minimizes the "Sorry, we never received your rebate" or "Sorry, we
didn't receive your rebate in time" excuses.

I read the rebate forms several times looking for the "gotcha's". I know
I go through way more trouble than I should for $20-$50 but it's the
principle. They make it as annoying as possible to claim a rebate so
that most people won't bother. I'm the one that bothers.

I send in my rebate to Canon along with all the rebate form, purchase
receipt and I cut out the UPC code from the box and put that in the
envelope. My new tactic is to use wide tape and tape the UPC code to
the rebate form.

I checked on my rebate status just now.

Error(s): An original qualifying UPC was not included

Yep. No matter how hard I tried, Canon still managed to screw me over.

Since they want "an original" qualifying UPC", my copy won't suffice.

Canon, the next time I'm in the market for a product I'll remember this
incident.

Hmmm,
You may have bought a grey market product? Take it up with your retailer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As has been adequately explained here before, rebates are by their very
nature a scam. There is no logical explanation for a rebate program other
than being a scam. The following truth will never change:

If the producer of a product wants to sell you his product at a lower than
normal price, they will give you a price break at the check out counter.
Any "program" to make you jump through silly hoops to get your "discount"
six months later , is nothing other than a silly scam. There is NO logical
reason for a "program" to give you a better price six months later
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF they wanted to give you a lower price, they would do
it ON THE DAY THAT YOU BUY THE PRODUCT !!

I am glad that this is all cleared up now. But alas, I do know
there are those that believe in the tooth fairy, so here come the
flames........

Oh well........

--James--