Posted to alt.home.repair

Default venting to nowhere

I have a couple of ideas as to what these are there for, but I have vents in
my ceilings that go to nowhere. They are in all the rooms, all of them go
into the attic and are all connected to each other by regular ducting. But
they don't exhaust anywhere.

I'm not exactly sure why they exist.

I'm thinking of two possibilities
1) They are from an aborted attempt at installing AC
2) They are for the purpose of dumping hot air into the attic.

I'd always assumed that they all connected up with each other and routed
back to the furnace, but the ducting literally goes nowhere - it's all
contained in the attic and it's all SEALED - meaning there is no exit port.

What got me wondering about it was whether or not I should seal the vents
during the winter to conserve heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wished I'd done that when I put my addition on 20 years ago. We've had to
do a lot of work since to retrofit the ductwork in for A/C.

(Suzzannes05 - why don't you turn your CAPLOCK off - using all caps is
considered SHOUTING.)

ups.com...
wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
I have a couple of ideas as to what these are there for, but I have vents in
my ceilings that go to nowhere. They are in all the rooms, all of them go
into the attic and are all connected to each other by regular ducting. But
they don't exhaust anywhere.

I'm not exactly sure why they exist.

I'm thinking of two possibilities
1) They are from an aborted attempt at installing AC

I'd venture w/ Suzzanne they were installed either when the house was
built or during a major remodel w/ the intent of adding central
heat/air which hasn't been done. If they're uninsulated, they were
undoubtedly the returns.

What got me wondering about it was whether or not I should seal the vents
during the winter to conserve heat.

Wouldn't hurt a thing, might help a tiny amount, but if they're not
open, doubt if would see any real difference. If they were open, that
would be another story, as then you could set up an nice flow path
driven by thermal and pressure differences, but w/o the exit, there's
no flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Dec 2006 07:34:34 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Or you could set up a blower fan in a few of them and
use them to circulate heat from a wood-stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 1:51 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I have a couple of ideas as to what these are there for, but I have vents in
my ceilings that go to nowhere. They are in all the rooms, all of them go
into the attic and are all connected to each other by regular ducting. But
they don't exhaust anywhere.

I'm not exactly sure why they exist.

I'm thinking of two possibilities
1) They are from an aborted attempt at installing AC

Not an aborted attempt, but foresight. Far cheaper and cleaner to
install the ducting before the walls are drywalled.

2) They are for the purpose of dumping hot air into the attic.

Nah.

I'd always assumed that they all connected up with each other and routed
back to the furnace, but the ducting literally goes nowhere - it's all
contained in the attic and it's all SEALED - meaning there is no exit port.

What got me wondering about it was whether or not I should seal the vents
during the winter to conserve heat.

Closing the louvers shuts off most of it,but if you want to seal them
up completely, I've found that using flexible magnetic vinyl sheet,
like that used for truck signs, is about the easiest way to go. A
local sign shop would sell you some scraps cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I did finally figure out what they were there for. It took following the
shutoff switch for the furnace to make it all click together. See the
furnace is in the basement, across the house from the garage. The shutoff
switch for the furnace is next to the furnace, but is routed from the switch
that goes to a box in the GARAGE, then from there to the fusebox on the
other side of the house. It is the most inefficient setup I've ever seen,
probably 60 feet of 14/2 - like they must have spend a fortune in copper
when they could have run it 5 feet to the fusebox above the furnace. But,
it makes sense when you consider that the old oil furnace was in the garage,
vented using those ducts in the attic. Those vents are the ducts for the
old oil furnace. So when they installed the new gas furnace, they literally
routed the switch from the oil furnace switch location to the location of
the gas furnace then installed new ducting for the gas furnace. That's my
best guess, but it seems logical given the location of the exhaust vent of
the oil furnace, the switch for the oil furnace, and the location of where
the ducting terminates.

But here's the kicker. Some of you hinted about it as well. I'm thinking
that I can install a ducting fan in the attic and use it to move hot air out
of the house in the summer. Basically installing a fan in the vent and use
that fan to draw hot air into the ducts and out the attic/roof vent. I
think that would be an incredibly good way to remove hot air from the room
during the hot summer nights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you CERTAIN one doesnt gpo down somewhere to feed the furnace?

What kinda of heat do you have? If its forced air theres a return
somewhere/

They can use a wall cavaity for getting the air back to the basement

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
you CERTAIN one doesnt gpo down somewhere to feed the furnace?

What kinda of heat do you have? If its forced air theres a return
somewhere/

They can use a wall cavaity for getting the air back to the basement

Positive. The gas furnace return vents are in the floor of the hallway and
the basement main room.

I know it sounds weird, but I mapped it today and they do not go anywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Positive. The gas furnace return vents are in the floor of the hallway and
the basement main room.

I know it sounds weird, but I mapped it today and they do not go anywhere.

try causing some smoke around the vents with the furnace on and see if
air moves

Kitchen Venting IanP UK diy 1 June 30th 06 04:32 PM
Kitchen Venting IanP UK diy 0 June 30th 06 04:20 PM
Kitchen Venting IanP UK diy 0 June 30th 06 04:19 PM
Venting mike. buckley UK diy 2 November 17th 05 08:44 AM
"venting" in conservatory CQMMAN UK diy 4 March 29th 05 11:41 PM