Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New water heater, need a blanket?

I just bought and installed a new Whirlpool Energy Smart water heater.
It's been running for a couple weeks now, and I notice that it feels
cool to the touch, while the 20-yr-old water heater felt warm (both
inside and outside the insulating blanket).

Do today's new "Energy Smart" water heaters need a blanket?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was Zz Yzx who stated:

I just bought and installed a new Whirlpool Energy Smart water heater.
It's been running for a couple weeks now, and I notice that it feels
cool to the touch, while the 20-yr-old water heater felt warm (both
inside and outside the insulating blanket).

Do today's new "Energy Smart" water heaters need a blanket?

Need? No. Can they help? CERTAINLY!

We just got a new water heater, and it's more efficient than the
15-plus-year-old one it replaced, and the blanket is on. More
insulation is better than less . . . .
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I just bought and installed a new Whirlpool Energy Smart water heater.
It's been running for a couple weeks now, and I notice that it feels
cool to the touch, while the 20-yr-old water heater felt warm (both
inside and outside the insulating blanket).

Do today's new "Energy Smart" water heaters need a blanket?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

I bought one too a month ago and asked the guy in the plumbing department if
a blanket is required. He said no. Makes sense if the heater feels cold to
the touch so you not loosing heat (except on the top of the unit) so what
would a blanket buy you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:21:08 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

I just bought and installed a new Whirlpool Energy Smart water heater.
It's been running for a couple weeks now, and I notice that it feels
cool to the touch, while the 20-yr-old water heater felt warm (both
inside and outside the insulating blanket).

Do today's new "Energy Smart" water heaters need a blanket?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Many manufactures tell you whether or not a water heater blanket is
necessary. Check the manual, or contact the manufactuer.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, if it feels Warm to the touch it would be losing heat. If
something is insulated very well it will feel the same as it's
environment when you touch it.

If it's 70 in your house, your water heater should feel cool to the
touch... mine does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

New hearters have excellent insulation and will feel like room temp.

A heater blanket properly installed cant hurt, but the energy saved may
nver cover the cost of the blanket purchase

Plus the heat lost helps heat your home, in a small way, so only in non
heat times of year would the blanket really save anything assuming your
tank is in a otherwise heated space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was " who stated:

New hearters have excellent insulation and will feel like room temp.

A heater blanket properly installed cant hurt, but the energy saved may
nver cover the cost of the blanket purchase

Plus the heat lost helps heat your home, in a small way, so only in non
heat times of year would the blanket really save anything assuming your
tank is in a otherwise heated space.

Agreed. That's why I went ahead and put the blanket on my new water
heater -- the one from the old, less well insulated one.
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

-- Sidney Freedman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:50:11 -0600, Don Fearn
wrote:

I think it was " who stated:

New hearters have excellent insulation and will feel like room temp.

A heater blanket properly installed cant hurt, but the energy saved may
nver cover the cost of the blanket purchase

Plus the heat lost helps heat your home, in a small way, so only in non
heat times of year would the blanket really save anything assuming your
tank is in a otherwise heated space.

Agreed. That's why I went ahead and put the blanket on my new water
heater -- the one from the old, less well insulated one.

imho:

My own questions about the newer water heaters and a blanket were
answered like this.

Tripple paned windows save more energy than double paned windows.
However, the energy savings over their life, doesn't exceed the cost
of triple paned windows. So keep your money, and spend it elsewhere.

Now that wasn't a yes or no, but made me rely on the manufacturer's
instructions for help. Also a quick G-search for "water heater
blanket debate" can yield some results.

later,

tom @ www.freecreditcheckguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that wasn't a yes or no, but made me rely on the manufacturer's
instructions for help. Also a quick G-search for "water heater
blanket debate" can yield some results.

Theoiritically it could be a thermos bottle, but few would pay
thousands too save hundreds of dollars of gas during the life of the

tankless water heater vs. small water heater. Spider Home Repair 7 October 14th 14 12:03 AM
hot water heater leak and tankless water heater? Bob F Home Repair 13 November 1st 06 03:44 AM
hot water heater leak and tankless water heater? Bob F Home Ownership 11 November 1st 06 03:44 AM
WATER HEATER BLANKET Home Repair 9 October 23rd 06 10:02 PM
80 gallon water heater blanket [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 17th 06 08:01 PM