Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default New water heater, need a blanket?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:50:11 -0600, Don Fearn
wrote:

I think it was " who stated:

New hearters have excellent insulation and will feel like room temp.

A heater blanket properly installed cant hurt, but the energy saved may
nver cover the cost of the blanket purchase

Plus the heat lost helps heat your home, in a small way, so only in non
heat times of year would the blanket really save anything assuming your
tank is in a otherwise heated space.

Agreed. That's why I went ahead and put the blanket on my new water
heater -- the one from the old, less well insulated one.

imho:

My own questions about the newer water heaters and a blanket were
answered like this.

Tripple paned windows save more energy than double paned windows.
However, the energy savings over their life, doesn't exceed the cost
of triple paned windows. So keep your money, and spend it elsewhere.

Now that wasn't a yes or no, but made me rely on the manufacturer's
instructions for help. Also a quick G-search for "water heater
blanket debate" can yield some results.

later,

tom @ www.freecreditcheckguide.com