Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a marine radio in a house?

Hi all:

I am looking for advice on installing a marine radio in a house. Why,
you ask? Well, i want to be able to have a keypad that controls the
radio (XM) from inside my shower. Marine radios from Jensen for
example have such waterproof keypads that are perfect for such an
install. I know there are home-based control pads for home stereos,
but none I can find are waterproof (and no I don't want to turn it on
before I enter the shower and just leave it there - I'm a channel
flipper

I know a lot about household electronic equipment, having installed
many different electronic and electrical products in my house, but I
know next to nothing about car or marine radio installs. My one
experience with it was looking at the back of a car radio I had
purchased and being amazed by just how many different wires there were
for such a simple product. Of course, this was many years ago, so
maybe things have been simplified.

Anyone know anything about this and give me some advice on what
additional components I will need to make this work? I'm guessing a
transformer of some sort for the power, and I'm guessing that the
speakers and wired remote I can deduce from the manual, but am I
missing something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

preset scan is the feature i like on the car radio [terrestrial] if you
are seeking a conventional stereo radio with a conventional remote.
there's a sony shower radio water resistant am/fm.
there are ziploc bags; and rf transmitters that come with some tv's.
i searched crutchfield and found Sony CDX-F50M
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7Ou2EPH...o&i=158CDXF50M
or
Pioneer CD-MR80 Marine Remote Control
and you can use a 110vac to 12vdc adapter.

Actor123 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
i searched crutchfield and found Sony CDX-F50M
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7Ou2EPH...o&i=158CDXF50M
or
Pioneer CD-MR80 Marine Remote Control
and you can use a 110vac to 12vdc adapter.

If you order something from Crutchfield, they will send you more
information than you will ever need to get it installed. Wiring
diagrams, wiring harnesses, mouting brackets, free telephone support
(with people who actually know what they are talking about), it all
comes with a purchase. You can't go wrong with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

You will need more than a transformer, as this radio, I assume is DC
probably 12 volts. You will need a good rectifier/filter system to provide
clean power for the radio.

ups.com...