Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FORMICA

I am going to use Formica as the backsplash against the wall on a new
counter top installation and wonder if anyone has had any luck using liquid
nails instead of contact cement. I know it's recommended cementing it to a
backer board first, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

rockachawboy wrote:
I am going to use Formica as the backsplash against the wall on a new
counter top installation and wonder if anyone has had any luck using liquid
nails instead of contact cement. I know it's recommended cementing it to a
backer board first, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

For what purpose? Irrespective of it not lasting permanently, you'll
play the devil getting a smooth enough layer to be able to have a flat
surface.

If the idea is to have the backsplash flush or nearly so to the rest of
the wall, cut a relief for the backsplash to accomodate it instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rockachawboy" wrote:
I am going to use Formica as the backsplash against the wall on a new
counter top installation and wonder if anyone has had any luck using liquid
nails instead of contact cement. I know it's recommended cementing it to a
backer board first, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Construction adhesive's great for gluing thicker objects (such as a granite
splash), but you're going to have all kinds of bulges telegraphing through
something thin like Formica.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Formica is a brand name for plastic laminate
FYI
the oil in liquid nail will bleed lines through the laminate
(made that mistake years ago)
I recommend contact cementing laminate onto 1/4" plywood then liquid nail
plywood to wall.
or cementing directly to wall.

"rockachawboy" wrote in message
I am going to use Formica as the backsplash against the wall on a new
counter top installation and wonder if anyone has had any luck using liquid
nails instead of contact cement. I know it's recommended cementing it to a
backer board first, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

actually the oil transfers through the granite leaving a dark stain
clear silicone is used for granite,corian or other solid surfaces (with a
little help from hot glue to hold it in place until the silicone cures) on
backsplash.

Formica Philip Thompson UK diy 5 November 3rd 06 02:43 PM
Formica over formica? Dave Balderstone Home Repair 12 April 5th 06 07:49 PM
Install formica over old formica top [email protected] Woodworking 3 August 22nd 05 02:16 AM
SEALANT for FORMICA ? Home Repair 4 October 23rd 04 08:40 PM
Formica The Stephen's Home Repair 2 April 4th 04 05:35 PM