Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loss of pressure from hot water heater.

Overnight there has been a noticeable loss of water pressure from the hot
water heater. All faucets in the house are affected. There was not a
gradual drop over several days. I believe the hot water heater is
approxiately 5-6 years old. I was considering draining it to see if it
was a sediment issue. I know it has not been drained in at least 4 years,
which is how long we have been in our house. Will this help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

crt765 wrote:
Overnight there has been a noticeable loss of water pressure from the hot
water heater. All faucets in the house are affected. There was not a
gradual drop over several days. I believe the hot water heater is
approxiately 5-6 years old. I was considering draining it to see if it
was a sediment issue. I know it has not been drained in at least 4 years,
which is how long we have been in our house. Will this help?

Sediment wouldn't normally build up a pile so high as
to block entry/exit. But worth a try as diagnostic.

See if the heater inlet/outlet connections are
equipped with "heat traps". Shiney nipple,
maybe 3-4" long. Looks exactly like a
"dielectric" nipple but has a tiny ball check inside.
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/457271/954

Maybe a dip tube collapse, but that seems far-fetched.

Jim

New Hot Water Heater, leaky pressure relief valve. [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 11th 06 03:20 AM
Temporary Loss of Hot Water Pressure CJ Home Repair 8 December 15th 05 10:06 PM
Loss of hot water pressure kipper UK diy 13 February 6th 05 11:24 PM
Loss of water pressure kipper UK diy 0 February 4th 05 01:29 PM
Hot water heater - very low water pressure Hoklai Home Repair 6 July 21st 03 06:21 AM