Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronic.design

Default Outcome (was 2 "ground rod" questions (Thumper aka cable fault locator))

I tested this machine more today. If I power it up and then depress
the little breaker in the back (which seems popped), my GFCI
blows. Powered from generator, depressing the breaker button seems to
power the unit's fan down and seems to shut it down altogeher until
un-pressed.

I basically decided to part it out and not to sell or try it anymore
in its present form. It is too dangerous at 25 kV and seems to have
something wrong with it. It is absolutely not supported by associated
research any more. They have no manuals, no old guys to talk to,
etc.

There are some fun goodies in there, such as a 25 kV, 1.2 kW high
voltage adjustable transformer (10a input), HV rectifier, huge
capacitors (maybe 3 uF), 7/8" thick high voltage cable for those
thumping pulse discharges, 100' single piece 1/0 gauge welding cable
for grounding, about as much in smaller 1/0 gauge grounding pieces
made of same cable, and also a very interesting High Voltage Vontactor
to make those pulsed discharges.

I hope to learn something as I take it apart. Maybe I will post a
webpage on what is inside a thumper like this, if anyone is interested.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronic.design

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:28:57 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus23437 wrote:

made of same cable, and also a very interesting High Voltage Vontactor

to make those pulsed discharges.