Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15 Yr Old Thomson's Water Seal Still Usable?

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

If it is not thickened, it is still good. OTOH, it was not the best water
sealer to start with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Brown writes:

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

It's just petroleum wax dissolved in mineral spirits. If it hasn't gotten
gummy, should be fine. Not that it's worth the effort to grease your
decks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:47:11 -0500, "Gary Brown"
wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary

As they said the stuff is almost worthless when new.
But it may be easier to dispose of by smearing on your deck than any
other way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary

As they said the stuff is almost worthless when new.
But it may be easier to dispose of by smearing on your deck than any
other way.

Best way to get rid of it until he gets a better sealer, like Cabots.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

If it is not thickened, it is still good. OTOH, it was not the best water
sealer to start with.

as others have stated....... it was not the best water sealer to start
with.

If thickened or lumpy....swirl the container & pour a small amount into
a clear container...check consistency

if thickened it can be restored to "new" conditon by heating...use
flameless heat source (heat gun)

better to use it up than create toxic waste

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary

As they said the stuff is almost worthless when new.
But it may be easier to dispose of by smearing on your deck than any
other way.

Or smear it on your dick......
Great sexual lubricant......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary

Yes it can be used, although Thompson's water seal is a below-average
product.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
It wasn't usable when it was new. The poorest brand of waterseal on the
market.
Throw it away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me and friends have used much thompsons, I believe it works GREAT!
stopped all concrete detorioation around here.

the trouble is some people spray a mist on like cleaning a window, then
wnder why it didnt help.

like painting a wall with too littkle paint then wondering why it
doesnt look good

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least
15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is
such a pain in the neck.

Thanks,
Gary

Find someone, somewhere to take it off your hands. I put that crap on my
deck 18 years ago failing to realize that the wood would still require
frequent cleaning to maintain the 'real' wood look (yea, I know - not very
real). I decided to stain it with Cabot's Barn Red semi-solid )or
semi-transparent) stain after the fourth year. To this day, what little of
that stain remains on the wood will rub off on your clothing with the
slightest touch. Now that I have g.kids they are all over that deck too.
Run away from that crud! I've been told that the wood will never take any
stain again because of it. If anyone else knows of a cure for this
**please** let me know via the UN or my e-mail. This is one topic that
really jacks me up, if you couldn't tell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Gary Brown, Rick wrote:
No, ship it to me please.

--