Posted to alt.home.repair
ODB ODB is offline

Default Another broken garage door....

Not sure what brand it is.

But yesterday it started opening only half way up and I couldnt get my car
out!

I thought the manual string pull looked like it was caught up and tangled in
the motor - as there doesnt seem to be friction with the door sliding
down...

then when I finally close it, the door immediately goes up again. Which is
scary given tools and bikes etc are in the garage.

Easy fix or serviceman time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ODB" wrote in message
Not sure what brand it is.

But yesterday it started opening only half way up and I couldnt get my car
out!

I thought the manual string pull looked like it was caught up and tangled
in the motor - as there doesnt seem to be friction with the door sliding
down...

then when I finally close it, the door immediately goes up again. Which is
scary given tools and bikes etc are in the garage.

It might be binding somewhere. Do a thorough visual inspection and
lubrication.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ODB wrote:
Not sure what brand it is.

But yesterday it started opening only half way up and I couldnt get
my car out!

I thought the manual string pull looked like it was caught up and
tangled in the motor - as there doesnt seem to be friction with the
door sliding down...

then when I finally close it, the door immediately goes up again.
Which is scary given tools and bikes etc are in the garage.

Easy fix or serviceman time?

Easy fix, but probably for the serviceman because of the way your question
is posed. Garage doors can be really dangerous at times; watch the
serviceman though, and ask questions. Do some online searching and maybe
you'll come across what you need to look closer ati t.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

ODB wrote:
Not sure what brand it is.

But yesterday it started opening only half way up and I couldnt get my car
out!

I thought the manual string pull looked like it was caught up and tangled in
the motor - as there doesnt seem to be friction with the door sliding
down...

then when I finally close it, the door immediately goes up again. Which is
scary given tools and bikes etc are in the garage.

Easy fix or serviceman time?

I'd conclude that if you're not perceptive enough to locate a name or
model number on the opener you'd not have the ability to fix anything
about it yourself.

you can get a respectable opener purchased and installed by Sears for
only about $225 in most places. I suggest you do so and keep your own
hands off it.....so you can keep your hands.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
ODB wrote:

Not sure what brand it is.

But yesterday it started opening only half way up and I couldnt get my
car out!

I thought the manual string pull looked like it was caught up and
tangled in the motor - as there doesnt seem to be friction with the
door sliding down...

then when I finally close it, the door immediately goes up again.
Which is scary given tools and bikes etc are in the garage.

Easy fix or serviceman time?

I'd conclude that if you're not perceptive enough to locate a name or
model number on the opener you'd not have the ability to fix anything
about it yourself.

you can get a respectable opener purchased and installed by Sears for

fear.

nate

only about $225 in most places. I suggest you do so and keep your own
hands off it.....so you can keep your hands.

Jeff

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel