Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Humidifier - York, AprilAire, Suggestions?

I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

What should I look for in a humidifier to take care of a 1000 square
foot house with forced air?

Consumer reports was worthless on this issue. They didn't have
ratings for any of them. I've gotten quotes as high as $800 for a
model another vendor wants $500 for. Now it sounds like the model I
was looking for is about as good as the next model down which is just
$350 installed.

Help -- looking for suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

USguy wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

What should I look for in a humidifier to take care of a 1000 square
foot house with forced air?

Consumer reports was worthless on this issue. They didn't have
ratings for any of them. I've gotten quotes as high as $800 for a
model another vendor wants $500 for. Now it sounds like the model I
was looking for is about as good as the next model down which is just
$350 installed.

Help -- looking for suggestions.

IMO, you can't beat Aprilaire. I've had the powered fan model, 760?,
for about 7 years now. It's a simple, clean design, easy to install
and clean. All I've done is replace the media element every couple
years. To do that, you just lift off the fan/case assembley, no tools
required.

I'm not a big fan of the bypass models that short circuit some air
around the furnace instead of using a fan. First, they decrease
blower capacity and you have to remember to close off the thing during
AC season. Second, sending hot moist air over a metal heat exchanger
doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have any experience with the York model?

One contractor I got a quote from said the AA was not as tough as the
York. If I did an AprilAire it would be the model 700 so your review
is helpful.

On 15 Dec 2006 10:31:05 -0800, wrote:

USguy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just installed an Aprilaire 550 about two months ago. It replaced a
Fieds Control unit (with a media wheel) that was rusting out after 4
years. The AA 550 is a bypass unit and is all plastic with an integral
damper. It bleeds off a small amount of water when running to minimize
lime buildup. It is working well. I purchased the AA because I had a
similar unit in another house that was at least ten years old and was
working well when we sold the house.

BTW I bought mine from Arnold Service Co. Good fast service and an
interesting website. arnoldservice.com

USguy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

April air and im sure others have a model with an outdoor thermometer,
it tracks the temp and keeps the humidity at the right level after you
do the set up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

USguy writes:

I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

Every house I've had seemed to have an aprilaire of some sort. Never
had a problem with em for whatever that's worth.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had 4 humidifiers installed in a 1400 square foot house in the cold
Northeast USA over the last 35 years. The first two each lasted only a few
years. The 2 Aprilaires have been absolutely outstanding. One lasted 18
years and the other was just installed a couple years ago. They are
extremely efficient, quiet, automatic (including ability to compensate for
outdoor temperature), easy to install, and fully supported by a very
reliable manufacturer in Wisconsin. I am neither an installer or have any
vested interested in them. I am merely a very satisfied consumer Their top
model was available a couple years ago on the web for about $250 and took a
couple hours to install. Should be maybe a $400 to $500 job in my opinion,
but your local installers may charge more for their time.

Smarty
"USguy" wrote in message
I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

What should I look for in a humidifier to take care of a 1000 square
foot house with forced air?

Consumer reports was worthless on this issue. They didn't have
ratings for any of them. I've gotten quotes as high as $800 for a
model another vendor wants $500 for. Now it sounds like the model I
was looking for is about as good as the next model down which is just
$350 installed.

Help -- looking for suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

USguy writes:

I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Don't. Airseal the house instead, to raise the indoor humidity and lower
vs raise your fuel bills.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just Knew Nicky would come along and stupidly state again that caulk
will cure all your dryness issues, your a bonehead nick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

061215 1238 - USguy posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

What should I look for in a humidifier to take care of a 1000 square
foot house with forced air?

Consumer reports was worthless on this issue. They didn't have
ratings for any of them. I've gotten quotes as high as $800 for a
model another vendor wants $500 for. Now it sounds like the model I
was looking for is about as good as the next model down which is just
$350 installed.

Help -- looking for suggestions.

About three years ago, the same discussion appeared on this particular
NewsGroup. I wrote:
A humidifier for home or apartment is not something that should be left
unmaintenanced for several months. For that reason, I don't purchase the
conventional humidifiers. In some of the homes and apartments I have been
in I use two Rubbermaid trays and four sponges. I have built a simple rack
to hold the trays and put them in front of one of the cold air return
registers in the apartments. Then, lean the sponges onto the register. Turn
the furnace on and then fill the trays with hot water. The moisture will
absorb into the sponge and the air moving over the sponge and into the cold
air return will circulate through the furnace and out the hot air registers.
If it has been dry before, there will be a noticeable change in the quality
of the air in the rooms. It is finally breatheable. I, like many others,
need the humidity in the air or my breathing apparatus will crack from the
dryness, and is, therefore, subject to all of the viruses that can attack.

In a couple of apartments that I had inhabited, I built an aluminum angle
rack to hold the two trays, and the cold air return was up high -- the
furnace was downdraft. I had a short aluminum ladder to get up to the
humidifier to fill it with hot water. I have a small electric pump and
control system for my hand and a water tube that stretches from the kitchen
sink to the humidifier, which is only about 10' away. I fill a small bucket
with hot water and then, with the pump in the water, turn it on and the hot
water comes out of the small tubing into the humidifier trays, where I cover
the sponges with hot water while I am filling the trays. The furnace should
be running while this operation is performed so that the rooms will be
immediately filled with warm, moist air.

On a home, a register could be cut into the cold air return on the furnace,
and an aluminum angle rack made to hold two of the Rubbermaid trays with the
four sponges. In this way the humidifier can be maintained properly and
filled when low on water. It should be filled with hot water while the
furnace is running to gain full advantage of the warm, moist air moving. The
trays usually need filling about once a month, or every two weeks when it
gets really cold out and the furnace runs a lot.

With such a system, the quality of the moist air in the rooms is held at a
high standard. The four sponges will begin to crust a little at the top
where the moisture is mostly removed from but with the maintaining schedule
the sponges can be easily removed from the trays and cleaned and rinsed in a
sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...
I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

What should I look for in a humidifier to take care of a 1000 square
foot house with forced air?

Consumer reports was worthless on this issue. They didn't have
ratings for any of them. I've gotten quotes as high as $800 for a
model another vendor wants $500 for. Now it sounds like the model I
was looking for is about as good as the next model down which is just
$350 installed.

Help -- looking for suggestions.

I bought a Sears humidifier about 15 years ago. It's a media wheel
unit. I've replaced various parts that have failed over the years,
usually available through Sears Parts stores and all pretty simple to
install. I've had to go to other sources recently, since Sears seems
to be trimming their inventory of parts - definitely not a good
thing, IMO. I completely disassemble it to clean it and replace the
media twice a season (probably not often enough). My only complaint
is that I've had to replace various parts that have failed over the
years. There are far too many moving parts compared to the other
type (I don't know what it's called). If I were going to replace
this unit, I'd probably get an AprilAire. They're simpler, virtually
no moving parts, no reservoir of stagnant water, and the company has
been around forever.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

061215 1238 - USguy posted:

NewsGroup. I wrote:
[...]

Great idea. Instead of a $250 system like Aprilaire that requires
maintenance once a season, the way to go is this contraption that
requires constant maintenance. Careful you don't trip over that water
line from the sink. Or maybe you have and that's how you came up with
the idea.

On a home, a register could be cut into the cold air return on the furnace,
and an aluminum angle rack made to hold two of the Rubbermaid trays with the
four sponges. In this way the humidifier can be maintained properly and
filled when low on water. It should be filled with hot water while the
furnace is running to gain full advantage of the warm, moist air moving. The
trays usually need filling about once a month, or every two weeks when it
gets really cold out and the furnace runs a lot.

With such a system, the quality of the moist air in the rooms is held at a
high standard. The four sponges will begin to crust a little at the top
where the moisture is mostly removed from but with the maintaining schedule
the sponges can be easily removed from the trays and cleaned and rinsed in a
sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am very familiar with the commercial type humidifiers. To say that a
humidifier doesn't need any maintenance but once a year is to say that the
water in it is stale and not fit for circulation throughout the home, not to
mention the crust built up on the rotating "sponge". Some folks -- me
included -- are very sensitive to dry air in the home, and the relief that
warm, moist air brings is a blessing. I'm for changing the water in the
humidifier about once a week, and making sure that the sponges are kept up
so that the moisture circulates properly.

And as far as "don't trip over that water line from the sink", I don't. It
is not a permanent setup; just when I refill the water trays. A pitcher of
hot water would work also, pouring over the sponges and filling the trays.
And, it doesn't cost $250 or more, plus the cost of installation by a
"pro"...

061220 1129 - posted:

Great idea. Instead of a $250 system like Aprilaire that requires
maintenance once a season, the way to go is this contraption that
requires constant maintenance. Careful you don't trip over that water
line from the sink. Or maybe you have and that's how you came up with
the idea.

061215 1238 - USguy posted:

NewsGroup. I wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

indago wrote:
I am very familiar with the commercial type humidifiers. To say that a
humidifier doesn't need any maintenance but once a year is to say that the
water in it is stale and not fit for circulation throughout the home, not to
mention the crust built up on the rotating "sponge". Some folks -- me
included -- are very sensitive to dry air in the home, and the relief that
warm, moist air brings is a blessing. I'm for changing the water in the
humidifier about once a week, and making sure that the sponges are kept up
so that the moisture circulates properly.\

Your reply demonstrates that you are unaware that there are whole-house
humidifiers that don't have rotating sponges and trays of stinky water,
and require little-to-no maintenance during the season.

Instead, a water line is run (usually off the water supply to the hot
water heater) and the humidifier is a vertical "chunk" of filter down
which water runs only when humidity is called for, and the tray
underneath drains to a sink (in our case, using the condensate pump for
the air conditioner). This way, no bacteria can build up in standing
water, you don't get anywhere NEAR the mineral build-up on the
humidifying "sponge/filter", and you don't need to change materials but
once a season or year.

Yes, you still need to close the air deflector and turn it off out of
the heating season, and yes, it costs more to install, but it's still a
lot lower maintenance and mess than what you describe, and it's
healthier for the occupants of the house.

Since installing an AprilAire unit two years ago, I haven't gotten a
chest cold, upper or lower respiratory infection or bronchitis once,
when in years past I would get bronchitis at least once a Winter (and
have had pneumonia three times in 25 years). My doctor says it is due
in part to the fact my humidifier isn't blowing bacteria into the
house's air, like previous ones did.

Just my 2 cents' worth...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:

indago wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
I use spray type. Works great for 10 years. I have a spare nozzle so I
can switch it in when one in service needs cleaning. Just soak it in
CLR and it's ready.

Need info about Aprilaire whole-house humidifier (water panel) filter [email protected] Home Ownership 1 August 4th 05 02:32 AM
Aprilaire 560 DonLanger Home Repair 1 January 15th 05 06:03 PM
Aprilaire 560 TigerPaw40 Home Repair 10 December 30th 04 04:14 AM
Installing natural gas furnace (Carrier Infinity 96) and humidifier (Aprilaire 600) - with motor running all the time NoSpam345 Home Repair 7 July 28th 04 06:16 PM
Opinion on Desert Spring DS3200 furnace humidifier versus Aprilaire 700 wanted Ace Home Repair 0 February 12th 04 06:53 PM