Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Humidifier - York, AprilAire, Suggestions?

USguy wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on what home humidifier to get.

Any helpful suggestions out there? Has anyone had experiences with
the AprilAire or the York system?

What should I look for in a humidifier to take care of a 1000 square
foot house with forced air?

Consumer reports was worthless on this issue. They didn't have
ratings for any of them. I've gotten quotes as high as $800 for a
model another vendor wants $500 for. Now it sounds like the model I
was looking for is about as good as the next model down which is just
$350 installed.

Help -- looking for suggestions.

IMO, you can't beat Aprilaire. I've had the powered fan model, 760?,
for about 7 years now. It's a simple, clean design, easy to install
and clean. All I've done is replace the media element every couple
years. To do that, you just lift off the fan/case assembley, no tools
required.

I'm not a big fan of the bypass models that short circuit some air
around the furnace instead of using a fan. First, they decrease
blower capacity and you have to remember to close off the thing during
AC season. Second, sending hot moist air over a metal heat exchanger
doesn't sound like a good idea to me.