Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ultra Boiler Modulation

Hello,

I am the proud owner of a Weil Maclean Ultra 105 boiler; it was
insalled this past May. Generally, I like the unit, but I am confused
about modulation: The literature says it has "20-100% modulation."
Does that mean it fires at any rate between those two? Or at JUST 20%
and 100%?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
Hello,

I am the proud owner of a Weil Maclean Ultra 105 boiler; it was
insalled this past May. Generally, I like the unit, but I am confused
about modulation: The literature says it has "20-100% modulation."
Does that mean it fires at any rate between those two? Or at JUST 20%
and 100%?

Thanks,

Mike

Any modulating boiler I'm familiar with is a variable firing rate. The W-M
uses a mixing venturi to send the gas/air mix to the burner with a 5 - 1
turndown ratio

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 00:07:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Any modulating boiler I'm familiar with is a variable firing rate. The W-M
uses a mixing venturi to send the gas/air mix to the burner with a 5 - 1
turndown ratio

So for clarification, bearing in mind I am not up on the terminology,
you are saying it can fire anywhere between 20% and 100% inclusive?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

So for clarification, bearing in mind I am not up on the terminology,
you are saying it can fire anywhere between 20% and 100% inclusive?

Yes. Most of this type of boiler senses the temperature and will trim the
fire to maintain a steady water temperature as opposed to the older methods
of turning the burner off, starting it back up again when the temperature
comes down, shutting off again, and repeating.

I don't know the exact setup WM uses, but let's say the maximum temperature
is going to be 185 degrees. At about 180, it may go down to 20% fire and
let it creep up slowly. On a very cold day, the water coming back to the
boiler may be 120 degrees and that will cause the burner to go back up to
100% until it reaches a warm enough water temp to start backing down. The
result is more even heating, less temperature swings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:04:56 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

So for clarification, bearing in mind I am not up on the terminology,
you are saying it can fire anywhere between 20% and 100% inclusive?

Yes. Most of this type of boiler senses the temperature and will trim the
fire to maintain a steady water temperature as opposed to the older methods
of turning the burner off, starting it back up again when the temperature
comes down, shutting off again, and repeating.

I don't know the exact setup WM uses, but let's say the maximum temperature
is going to be 185 degrees. At about 180, it may go down to 20% fire and
let it creep up slowly. On a very cold day, the water coming back to the
boiler may be 120 degrees and that will cause the burner to go back up to
100% until it reaches a warm enough water temp to start backing down. The
result is more even heating, less temperature swings.

Thanks for the clarification; I have a better idea of what's going on.