Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default New shower venting?

I posted a question about adding a shower a little while ago and appreciated
the responses. Well now I am a little farther now I broke up the concrete
floor found the cast iron drain pipe but the venting has me puzzled. The
sink drain goes straight into the floor under the floor there is a cast iron
90 deg elbow looks like 3" OD this goes to the toilet drain about 2 to 3
feet away then under the toilet it must make a 90 degree turn goes another 2
to 3 feet where it meets the main drain this is also the only vent for the
toilet and sink. I was expecting to see something more for venting but the
wall behind the sink and toilet is block with no vent lines? Can I just add
a "Y" where the sink elbow is and have the shower drain tie in there with no
additional venting? the shower drain is about 3 feet away from the sink.
Thanks
Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

[...]

In a case like this (years ago), the sheer volume of air in the
cast iron house drain was relied upon to "kin of" vent the
basement fixtures arranged the way yours are.

Today, you wouldn't be allowed to do it and would almost certainly
need a vent for the new shower.

Will it work, tying into the sink drain? Maybe.
The shower drain will be 2" and you'll need a 2" P-trap under the
shower base. Better would be to WYE into the cast iron ugh.

You might give yourself an "out" by TEEing off the shower drain
(after the P-trap) with a 1 1/2" line brought up to the surface
(by the wall maybe) so you could add a mechanical vent if it were needed.

Presumably this job won't need an inspection...

Jim

tankless venting No Home Repair 1 January 7th 06 03:11 AM
Venting mike. buckley UK diy 2 November 17th 05 08:44 AM
Dryer venting [email protected] Home Repair 9 June 23rd 05 02:07 PM
"venting" in conservatory CQMMAN UK diy 4 March 29th 05 11:41 PM
Venting dryer and bathroom/shower through the same pipe Leon Home Repair 2 August 26th 03 09:25 PM