Leon

Default Venting dryer and bathroom/shower through the same pipe

I have a close dryer on the main floor that is vented out through a 4" pipe.
One floor directly below in the basement I have a bathroom with a shower
that is in dire need of a vent (moisture accumulates on walls and ceiling
after showers). I can't seem to be able to find a way to vent the bathroom
directly outside but I can easily bring a pipe through the floor in to the
laundry room and connect it to the dryer vent. Is this a good idea? Would
there be a problem if the fan in the bathroom below was working while the
dryer is also on? By the way, the dryer is powered by natural gas (don't
know if it makes any difference).

Speedy Jim

Leon wrote:

I have a close dryer on the main floor that is vented out through a 4" pipe.
One floor directly below in the basement I have a bathroom with a shower
that is in dire need of a vent (moisture accumulates on walls and ceiling
after showers). I can't seem to be able to find a way to vent the bathroom
directly outside but I can easily bring a pipe through the floor in to the
laundry room and connect it to the dryer vent. Is this a good idea? Would
there be a problem if the fan in the bathroom below was working while the
dryer is also on? By the way, the dryer is powered by natural gas (don't
know if it makes any difference).

Never combine venting of different appliances.
Most especially, you don't want to share a vent from a
gas-burning appliance with anything else.

Jim
peter

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:37:30 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I have a close dryer on the main floor that is vented out through a 4" pipe.
One floor directly below in the basement I have a bathroom with a shower
that is in dire need of a vent (moisture accumulates on walls and ceiling
after showers). I can't seem to be able to find a way to vent the bathroom
directly outside but I can easily bring a pipe through the floor in to the
laundry room and connect it to the dryer vent. Is this a good idea? Would
there be a problem if the fan in the bathroom below was working while the
dryer is also on? By the way, the dryer is powered by natural gas (don't
know if it makes any difference).

A clothes dryer should be vented all by itself. It's such a
fire hazzard that code won't allow it to be vented with anything else.

Also, this is a hassle. You will get blowback: lint in the
bathroom, steam in the dryer. Neither is good.