Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Wire inside basement walls

I have concrete block walls in my basement and instead of finishing the
walls with studs and drywall, I decided to simply chip out holes in the
block for the outlets and run the wire down from the top through the
walls. Before I do this to any outside walls, I want to make sure that
it's OK to do this. Will it affect my foundation at all to have a few
holes in the block? So far it's pretty easy and looks really nice once
you paint the walls and everything -- the best part is that I don't
have to worry about water damage to any walls if there should ever be
flooding!

Posted to alt.home.repair

i have done this, you may find some blocks here and then requiring more
holes, repair all well with mortar or concrete.

do realize at home resale time they will probably not count these room
as finished spaces, no insulation block wall etc.

probably the major downside to your plan

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It may make more sense to run emt or wiremold on the exterior of the block,
but if you want to run cable inside the block you may need to use cable like
UF or other cable for wet or damp locations

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have concrete block walls in my basement and instead of finishing the
walls with studs and drywall, I decided to simply chip out holes in the
block for the outlets and run the wire down from the top through the
walls. Before I do this to any outside walls, I want to make sure that
it's OK to do this. Will it affect my foundation at all to have a few
holes in the block? So far it's pretty easy and looks really nice once
you paint the walls and everything -- the best part is that I don't
have to worry about water damage to any walls if there should ever be
flooding!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Dec 2006 13:33:05 -0800, "
wrote:

i have done this, you may find some blocks here and then requiring more
holes, repair all well with mortar or concrete.

do realize at home resale time they will probably not count these room
as finished spaces, no insulation block wall etc.

probably the major downside to your plan

Although, if you're punching holes in the blocks anyway,
you might as well dump some vermiculite in there which
will add something like R2 to the walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It may make more sense to run emt or wiremold on the exterior of the block,
but if you want to run cable inside the block you may need to use cable like
UF or other cable for wet or damp locations

NM ("Romex"), NMC, and NMS are explicitly Code-approved "to be installed or
fished in air voids in masonry block or tile walls." [2005 NEC, Art.
334.10(A)(2), (B)(2), and (C)(2) respectively]

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You're correct, but in normally dry locations. Interior masonry walls would
be dry, but perimeter walls may be damp or moist

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
It may make more sense to run emt or wiremold on the exterior of the
block,
but if you want to run cable inside the block you may need to use cable
like
UF or other cable for wet or damp locations

NM ("Romex"), NMC, and NMS are explicitly Code-approved "to be installed
or
fished in air voids in masonry block or tile walls." [2005 NEC, Art.
334.10(A)(2), (B)(2), and (C)(2) respectively]

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

No drywall or panelling or anything? Just block? Uh, okay.

The only technical issue I can think of is that it's best to keep the
air inside the wall separated from living space - for humidity and
radon reasons, for example. Just don't decide in the future to stick
drywall or panelling up against the block and call it finished.

I have a basement that was finished that way. Holes knocked in the
block to recess the outlets and then tacky brown panels stuck to
furring strips. The mold behind the panels was unbelievable. Damp air
would draft in through the holes in the block.

But, to answer your question, the holes in the block didn't seem to
affect the structure of the wall in any way. They were large enough to
hold an electrical box, chipped through the thin part of the block
(don't forget the inner 'rib' of the block), and no closer together
than 8 feet or so.

Someday someone will have to fill them in and will curse you while they
do it.

-rev

wrote:
I have concrete block walls in my basement and instead of finishing the
walls with studs and drywall, I decided to simply chip out holes in the
block for the outlets and run the wire down from the top through the
walls. Before I do this to any outside walls, I want to make sure that
it's OK to do this. Will it affect my foundation at all to have a few
holes in the block? So far it's pretty easy and looks really nice once
you paint the walls and everything -- the best part is that I don't
have to worry about water damage to any walls if there should ever be
flooding!

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Interesting.

So what is your recommendation?

A complete vapor barrier against the blocks with maybe sheet foam
insulation on top of the barrier and then the drywall or paneling?

wrote:
I have concrete block walls in my basement and instead of finishing the
walls with studs and drywall, I decided to simply chip out holes in the
block for the outlets and run the wire down from the top through the
walls. Before I do this to any outside walls, I want to make sure that
it's OK to do this. Will it affect my foundation at all to have a few
holes in the block? So far it's pretty easy and looks really nice once
you paint the walls and everything -- the best part is that I don't
have to worry about water damage to any walls if there should ever be
flooding!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would run EMT on the outside of the walls

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" quiried

Interesting.

So what is your recommendation?

A complete vapor barrier against the blocks with maybe sheet foam
insulation on top of the barrier and then the drywall or paneling?

If you are going to put up finished dry wall leave a 1-2" space between the
block/poured wall and your inner wall, use PT for the studs, and use the
moisture proof drywall. Oh yeah, and NEVER attach anything directly to the
masonry! In fact use construction adhesive for the wall bottom where it
meets the concrete floor.

just my opinion