Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement washers for those braided stainless hoses

Hi all:

When I replaced my washing machine hoses 4 years ago, I used braided
stainless ones, thinking that would be cheap insurance against leaks.
The other day, I found one had started leaking around its end fitting,
so I'm looking for replacement washers. The ones that came with the
hoses are about 1" in diameter with a 5/16" inside diameter. They are
thicker in the middle, with a recess that fits against the swivel joint
in the hose end. Regular hose washers don't work because the inside
diameter is too large to seal the swivel joint (yes, I tried them).
I've been to Lowes, where I bought the hoses, but they don't stock the
washers. I've tried Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc., but no luck. I'm
about ready to just get some new hoses, but I thought I'd ask here
first. Where can you get these things?

Thanks in advance,
John.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the_tool_man wrote:

[...]

You can buy a postcard sized sheet of red rubber gasket material for
under a buck in the plumbing section of most hardware stores or Home Cheepo.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to carve out a washer like that with an
X-Acto or utility knife. Stack up two if one isn't thick enough.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Jeff:

I wouldn't want to try to duplicate this shape by hand. The thickness
at the edge is about the same as a regular washer. One side is
conical, making it about double in thickness at the inner diameter.
The reverse side has a counterbore.

Regards,
John.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You can buy a postcard sized sheet of red rubber gasket material for
under a buck in the plumbing section of most hardware stores or Home Cheepo.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to carve out a washer like that with an
X-Acto or utility knife. Stack up two if one isn't thick enough.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Braided Flexible Hoses used in Plumbing Systems Merryterry UK diy 60 March 9th 06 10:04 AM
Efficiency of braided vs solid wire hankB Home Repair 15 January 29th 06 02:31 AM
Braided Glass yarn TMC UK diy 0 October 9th 05 01:20 PM
Braided stair treads or the like? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 May 31st 05 10:14 AM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM