Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking at a flat...any idea what this smell is?

I was just looking at an upstairs 2BR flat that was visually beautiful.
All new super-modern kitchen, beautiful two-tone paint throughout. Garage
and washer/dryer (not just the hookups) were included.

However...there is this menthol-ish smell that is present throughout the
place. The owners assured me there were no cats/smokers in there
previously, but I'm not so sure. I looked at another place many years ago
that was similar and turned out it was owned by a lady with like 100 cats
that ****ed everywhere.

Is there any product used to cover up either odor that might have a
menthol-ish odor? I realize it's difficult to ask this without actually
experiencing it, but I'm hoping there's some commonly used product that has
this smell.

Note that the place has nice (apparently redone) wood floors.

TIA, Pat

--

Remove both XX's from e-mail to reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol#Applications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint
looks like menthol is from mint.
look into foggers, they can use mint and other scents. whether the
scent is related to fighting odor, smoke, mildew, or insects, only a
search warrant will tell. how do the owners explain this? perhaps your
climate would give us a clue to this. interview the neighbors for they
may have a similar problem.

Patrick Maloney wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 03:04:50 GMT, Patrick Maloney
wrote:

I was just looking at an upstairs 2BR flat that was visually beautiful.
All new super-modern kitchen, beautiful two-tone paint throughout. Garage
and washer/dryer (not just the hookups) were included.

However...there is this menthol-ish smell that is present throughout the
place. The owners assured me there were no cats/smokers in there
previously, but I'm not so sure. I looked at another place many years ago
that was similar and turned out it was owned by a lady with like 100 cats
that ****ed everywhere.

Is there any product used to cover up either odor that might have a
menthol-ish odor? I realize it's difficult to ask this without actually
experiencing it, but I'm hoping there's some commonly used product that has
this smell.

Note that the place has nice (apparently redone) wood floors.

TIA, Pat

Please post a sample of the smell that we can download and smell it
ourselves. It would be a lot easier to identify if we can smell it.
Just use your smellavision converter to make a digital sample.

Justin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick Maloney spake thus:

I was just looking at an upstairs 2BR flat that was visually beautiful.
All new super-modern kitchen, beautiful two-tone paint throughout. Garage
and washer/dryer (not just the hookups) were included.

However...there is this menthol-ish smell that is present throughout the
place. The owners assured me there were no cats/smokers in there
previously, but I'm not so sure. I looked at another place many years ago
that was similar and turned out it was owned by a lady with like 100 cats
that ****ed everywhere.

Is there any product used to cover up either odor that might have a
menthol-ish odor? I realize it's difficult to ask this without actually
experiencing it, but I'm hoping there's some commonly used product that has
this smell.

Note that the place has nice (apparently redone) wood floors.

Dunno what the smell is. (As someone else suggested, you should have
uploaded a sample to MySmell.com.)

But in general, I don't see why this should stop you from taking an
otherwise desireable place. When I moved in my place, it had a vague but
oddly strong smell throughout that I could never identify. Not extremely
objectionable, but just bad enough to be annoying. It went away after a
few months.

Cleaning stuff can do wonders, too. Who knows? maybe it's the residual
odor of the floor varnish.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:07:05 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Patrick Maloney spake thus:

[...]

Yeah, and if you looked in the garbage can, you'd probably find a can
of Glade (or other brand) air freshner, Some people get carried away
with that stuff. I only use it around my cats litter box when I am
too tired to change the litter. Sure wish I could train the cats to
use the toilet !!!!!

I'm off to mysmell.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

cats at:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...earch=Searc h

wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:07:05 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Patrick Maloney spake thus: