Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Will I die doing this?

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim, 12/11/2006,8:08:42 PM, wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing
in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at
risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

If you constantly talk on the phone you will turn into a woman. Which
would be worse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "Jim" myplace@home who stated:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

If you do that, you will SURELY die!

Of course, if you don't do that you're gonna die too . . . 'cause we
all do.

I'd only worry about an incoming call; there's higher ringing voltage
then.

Or if there's a lightening strike nearby that comes down the phone
line.

Otherwise, don't worry about it . . . .
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Jim, 12/11/2006,8:08:42 PM, wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing
in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at
risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

If you constantly talk on the phone you will turn into a woman. Which
would be worse?

Will you PUH - LEEEEZE warn me when you are going to do that? Do you know
how difficult it is to get MGD out of a keyboard?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Jim wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

That's not a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live permits
etc.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in my hot tub.
The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub?

Only slightly.

You would do well to avoid the practice during a severe thunderstorm.
--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System
Historical Socity
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Rich wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live permits
etc.

Rich

I thought ring current was 90 volts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" myplace@home writes:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

Very bad idea. Ringdown voltage is near or exceeding wall outlet
voltage. Granted, current capability is lower, but it's
enough.... and the the human body's resistance while soaking in water
is quite low.

Cordless phones are cheap. You need one if you wanna chat in the
bath.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

You will not surely die.... hisss.... hisss...... I'm a snake, you can
trussssst me.... hissss........

Seriously, the phone in the tub is a crappy idea.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Jim, 12/11/2006,8:08:42 PM, wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing
in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at
risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

If you constantly talk on the phone you will turn into a woman.

Which
would be worse?

Will you PUH - LEEEEZE warn me when you are going to do that? Do you
know
how difficult it is to get MGD out of a keyboard?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought the ring current was 105 VAC?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Rich" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live
permits
etc.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" writes:

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live permits
etc.

You're both right. 48V DC is the loop voltage when the phone is on
hook. Pulled offhook this drops to under 10V. Ringdown voltage is
90V superimposed on that 48VDC so you've got peaks of 138V.

Traditional phone near bathtub = bad idea.

Ventricular fibrillation of the human heart only takes a macroshock of
100 to 300 millamps. While human skin dry is normally around a
megaohm, wet skin can make ya under 1kohm in impedance. V=IR and
all, 138V / 1000 ohms = .138A = 138mA if your phone slips into the tub
and someone decides to give you a ring.

Not really in the engineering tolerance you wanna be to stay alive,
particularly with how wildly variable the resistance estimate can be,
and the variability of what level of macroshock is needed to cause the
heart muscle to fibrillate.

Throw $15 at a cordless phone. :-)

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

I have a phone jack next to my bathtub. I only plug in a handset
(which has to be rewired iirc to use it this way, and it worked better
when I put on a wider plug than handsets have). I don't place calls
because there is no dial, and I answer the phone between rings. I
also don't let the phone get wet, and if my hand is wet, I think I
wipe it off with a towel.

I also do the same thing before I adjust the volume on the tv. The tv
has a sound output, and I have a cord coming out of the wall behind
the tv, speakers from a 1950's Hi-Fi on the ceiling, and a volume
control next to my shoulder on the bathroom wall. That way I can turn
the volume down when I'm on the phone. I also tied a washcloth (and
later I changed it to a sock) so the water doesn't make much noise
when it runs into the tub. That way I can also keep a trickle of warm
water coming in so the bath doesn 't get cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live permits
etc.

Doesn't it vary from one city to another?

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

Hire a professional to make your phone calls for you. You are not
qualified to use a phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

I forgot to say that I don't have any children who need me to pay
their expenses, nor a wife in those circumstances.

Why not buy a cordless phone? They are totally safe, even in the
bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

061211 2158 - CJT posted:

Rich wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live permits
etc.

Rich

I thought ring current was 90 volts.

I thought it was 70.7 volts...

Posted to alt.home.repair

He managed to make contact - at the same time
I was calling him! Big jolt! I somewhat remember him saying that he fell
down on his butt and maybe saw stars!

- Don Klipstein )

A buddy of mine worked for Bell Long Lines. A favorite joke was to ring
thru on a line a coworker was working on. Ha Ha fun and games. Never
failed to get a big reaction and a lot of profanity.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
Steve B, 12/11/2006, 8:30:21 PM,

Jim, 12/11/2006,8:08:42 PM, wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

If you constantly talk on the phone you will turn into a woman.
Which would be worse?

Will you PUH - LEEEEZE warn me when you are going to do that? Do you
know how difficult it is to get MGD out of a keyboard?

What is MGD?

Miller Genuine Draft

Posted to alt.home.repair

061211 2008 - Jim posted:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

Just do it till you need glasses...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will I die doing this? Thanks Group!

"indago" wrote in message
061211 2008 - Jim posted:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

Just do it till you need glasses...

hahahahaha...okay...thanks for the posts...I'm gonna go buy a
cordless... have a Merry Christmass Group!...Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote

hahahahaha...okay...thanks for the posts...I'm gonna go buy a
cordless... have a Merry Christmass Group!...Jimi

Do they still make the cord types? I think I have a couple of old ones in
the garage...............

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Do they still make the cord types? I think I have a couple of old ones in
the garage...............

They're nice to have if (like me) you occasionally have to attend
long-distance training courses and are on a conference call for 7 hrs
straight.

Or during a power outage. (I know they make cordless phones with a
second battery in the base for just this scenario, but they aren't very
common.)

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live permits
etc.

Doesn't it vary from one city to another?

Rich

Here the line has 50VDC when not in use. When ringing it has both
50VDC and 75VAC on it (alternating between -25V and +125V, I think at
20Hz). Ringing current capability is significant, since it's intended
to ring 5 loud bells.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote

What is MGD?

Miller Genuine Draft

You SHOULD spit that out!

CWM

To each his own. I did find a Mexican beer I liked while in Mazatlan,
though. Pacifico Claro, and there's a brewery right there in Mazatlan.

When I was in high school, the biology teacher passed out strips of paper.
He then told everyone to put them in their mouths. About half of the
people, me included, spat them out, some gagging. It tasted nasty. All the
others sat there chomping on their paper, tasting nothing.

Lots of variations in taste. Look at any paint sample rack.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

There was an article about a guy that called one of those phone sex
lines. He wanted to masturbate in the tub while he talked to the
woman on the sex line. He had the phone in one hand and his manhood in
the other. He was just having the best of times when he got overly
excited and dropped the phone in the water. His other hand still on
his penis, when the phone hit the water, his penis and testicles took
the brunt of the electricity in the phone lines, and they were
destroyed. He never had to call another sex line, because he could no
longer have sex. The doctors that examined him said his penis and
testes were literally burned right off his body, the hand he was using
had severe burns, and his heart was not beating properly from the
jolt.

Rus
Posted to alt.home.repair

When it come right down to it; we are all going to die of something, if
you enjoy it, do it. If it was all that lethal of a combination, you
wouldn't be here talking about it. Might I suggest a cordless phone,
they are addictive, and other than getting lost and needing a battery
every few years, they have little in the way of a downside. NiMi
batteries pretty well solve the battery issue, and many have a find
handset feature that rings them till you track them down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" writes:

"Jimi" wrote

hahahahaha...okay...thanks for the posts...I'm gonna go buy a
cordless... have a Merry Christmass Group!...Jimi

Do they still make the cord types? I think I have a couple of old ones in
the garage...............

Oh yes, still made, and rather handy to have one around the house when
the power goes out and you need to call and report the outage. :-)

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:46:09 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

Do they still make the cord types? I think I have a couple of old ones in
the garage...............

They're nice to have if (like me) you occasionally have to attend
long-distance training courses and are on a conference call for 7 hrs
straight.

There are multi-handset cordless phones. Some make it as easy to
change between handsets as with different phones. You can change
handsets when you get a low battery warning.

Or during a power outage. (I know they make cordless phones with a
second battery in the base for just this scenario, but they aren't very
common.)

Chris

I have mine plugged into a UPS (the same UPS that's connected to some
of my A/V and network equipment). Runtime is limited, but at least it
gives you plenty of time to get to a corded phone.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while lazing in
my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting myself at risk
talking on the phone while in the hot tub? Thanks...Jim

What's your number? We'll give you a call and chat about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:04:24 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Charlie Morgan" wrote

What is MGD?

Miller Genuine Draft

You SHOULD spit that out!

CWM

To each his own. I did find a Mexican beer I liked while in Mazatlan,
though. Pacifico Claro, and there's a brewery right there in Mazatlan.

When I was in high school, the biology teacher passed out strips of paper.
He then told everyone to put them in their mouths. About half of the
people, me included, spat them out, some gagging. It tasted nasty. All
the
others sat there chomping on their paper, tasting nothing.

Lots of variations in taste. Look at any paint sample rack.

Steve

Was Mazatlan also the place where you lost your sense of humor?

CWM

No. My virginity. For the 34,894,344th time...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:08:42 -0600, Jim myplace@home wrote:

Just a short note here. I constantly talk on the phone while
lazing in my hot tub. The phone is NOT cordless. So am I putting
myself at risk talking on the phone while in the hot tub?
Thanks...Jim

Yes. There's 90V and lethal current available on the phone loop.

No its 48 volts to stay under the limit of 50 volts for working live
permits
etc.

Doesn't it vary from one city to another?

I don't see how it could, otherwise your phone wouldn't necessarily work
from one location to another.

Rich

Using a die stone Metalworking 9 October 11th 05 08:10 AM
Looking for a 5-40 die [email protected] Metalworking 4 May 22nd 05 10:00 PM
Die cutters Scott Moore Metalworking 6 August 24th 04 04:15 PM
This is what happens when you die. Paul K. Dickman Metalworking 3 March 15th 04 07:41 PM