Posted to alt.home.repair

Default BX and MC cable?

As I understand it, they are pretty much the same except that MC has a
ground and BX relies on the jacket as the ground. Any other differences?
Either harder to use?

How do you use the ground on BX, at the breaker box and junction box? Does
it simply go through the mechanical connection at the box, or is there a
wire to attach?

If did a google search, but didn't come up with much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

In Canada, BX or armoured cable with the aluminum sheath now has a separate
ground wire, while a number of years ago it relied on the sheath to act as
ground.

"Toller" wrote in message
As I understand it, they are pretty much the same except that MC has a
ground and BX relies on the jacket as the ground. Any other differences?
Either harder to use?

How do you use the ground on BX, at the breaker box and junction box?
Does it simply go through the mechanical connection at the box, or is
there a wire to attach?

If did a google search, but didn't come up with much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:
As I understand it, they are pretty much the same except that MC has a
ground and BX relies on the jacket as the ground. Any other differences?

BX, at least the old stuff, is clad in steel. MC is aluminum-clad.

Either harder to use?

BX, by a long shot, because the armor is so much harder to cut.

How do you use the ground on BX, at the breaker box and junction box? Does
it simply go through the mechanical connection at the box, or is there a
wire to attach?

That's the way the old stuff worked in theory -- but it had some problems.
Forget BX. MC is waaaaaaay easier to work with.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:07:45 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

As I understand it, they are pretty much the same except that MC has a
ground and BX relies on the jacket as the ground. Any other differences?
Either harder to use?

How do you use the ground on BX, at the breaker box and junction box?
Does
it simply go through the mechanical connection at the box, or is there a
wire to attach?

If did a google search, but didn't come up with much.

You might have better luck with your search if you used type AC
instead of BX, which was a brand name.
The original product from Bronx cable (BX) was steel wound armor. It
is referred to in the NEC as Type AC.
A bonding strip was added later. This has a paper inner wrapper and
is dry location only. It requires an insulating bushing (AKA Read
Head) where it enters the box. It can be aluminum or steel armor
Type MC is a newer product using a similar armor, aluminum or steel.
The inner wrapper is plastic and newer versions can be listed for use
in wet locations. The insulation bushing is not necessary when used
with the proper connector. Traditionally the armor of type MC was not
listed for grounding and it came with an insulated green wire
grounding conductor, This is about to change. The newest version has a
large uninsulated bonding conductor in continuous contact with the
armor that will allow the armor to be the ground. It is not necessary
to terminate this bonding conductor and it is cut off flush with the
armor when you use the new bonding connector at the box.
Either MC or AC can have additional grounding conductors for
applications like hospitals.

I can buy BX (AC...) for $0.60/ft and MC for $1.10/ft. I don't care about
wet applications.
I don't know anything about their construction; it is internet and they
don't give any specs.

Any reason not to use the BX?
The vendor is Dale Electric. If you can suggest an alternative...
I also need a Murray 30/50 quad breaker for the project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:05:26 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:07:45 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I can buy BX (AC...) for $0.60/ft and MC for $1.10/ft. I don't care about
wet applications.
I don't know anything about their construction; it is internet and they
don't give any specs.

Any reason not to use the BX?
The vendor is Dale Electric. If you can suggest an alternative...
I also need a Murray 30/50 quad breaker for the project.

I seem to recall some types of metal armoured cable that had a flat
aluminum tape conductor running through in addition to the copper
conductors to be connected and form the ground.

That was presumably in those jurisdictions where it became unacceptable
to depend on the ground being through the metal cable connectors and
the metal sheath?

I also recall some very old (1938 installed? steel sheathed cabling
that did depend on the sheath being the ground conductor.

On this news group IIRC there have been more recent statements that
electrical code in many jurisdictions requires the use of specific
'ground' conductor of correct gauge withing the sheath in addition to
the current carrying conductors. In other words the sheath now is
merely for mechanical protection; not grounding?

When we rewired our hot water tank; with two wire #10 AWG recently, we
also provided a third ground conductor and slid it all through an
approximately 3 foot length of armoured mechanically protecting it
from the wall box to the hot water tank itself.

Eastern Canada.
.................................................. .................................................. ...................

There is nothing wrong with AC cable. Just be sure you use the right
connectors and make them up well since this is your grounding path. I
imagine the difference in price is the grounding conductor in MC.
Dale has been OK to me but I usually try to patronize my local
suppliers when I can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can get either BX or MC with a steel or aluminum jacket. Personally I
find the aluminum to flimsy, but it is light

"Toller" wrote in message
As I understand it, they are pretty much the same except that MC has a
ground and BX relies on the jacket as the ground. Any other differences?
Either harder to use?

How do you use the ground on BX, at the breaker box and junction box?
Does it simply go through the mechanical connection at the box, or is
there a wire to attach?

If did a google search, but didn't come up with much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:07:45 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

As I understand it, they are pretty much the same except that MC has a
ground and BX relies on the jacket as the ground. Any other differences?
Either harder to use?

Fewer ground wires with the BX to manage, but remember to use the
anti-short bushing.

How do you use the ground on BX, at the breaker box and junction box? Does
it simply go through the mechanical connection at the box, or is there a
wire to attach?

Sounds like you got the picture. BX [AC] connectors are designed to
hold securly, and provide a good grounding path.

If did a google search, but didn't come up with much.

No offense, but I suggest only let qualified personel do electrical
work.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info