Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Walls leaking on slab

I have a house that a portion of it is built on a slab, I took the
carpet off of the floor to tile this room. the carpet was wet along the
wall line. Now with just bare slab water is forming and it is coming
from the inside of the T-111, more in the corners. Coming down the wall
then coming into the house. The roof does not leak and there is no man
made item that could creat this problem, such as anything to do with
water. No base boards, washer,waterpipes ect --------nothing not even
under the slab. The house is insulated with 3 1/2" of insulation from
the 60's, could it be that the insulation has flattened out ant is not
working properly?
The wall are 2/4 construction 16" center. It was just recently caulked
and painted and was re shingled last year. Can anyboty help???????/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a house that a portion of it is built on a slab, I took the
carpet off of the floor to tile this room. the carpet was wet along the
wall line. Now with just bare slab water is forming and it is coming
from the inside of the T-111, more in the corners. Coming down the wall
then coming into the house. The roof does not leak and there is no man
made item that could creat this problem, such as anything to do with
water. No base boards, washer,waterpipes ect --------nothing not even
under the slab. The house is insulated with 3 1/2" of insulation from
the 60's, could it be that the insulation has flattened out ant is not
working properly?
The wall are 2/4 construction 16" center. It was just recently caulked
and painted and was re shingled last year. Can anyboty help???????/

If any of the T1-11 is in contact with soil or below grade that's would be
a problem area. Any water pudding up against the siding could cause a water
problem. Rain with wind can cause the water to blow up the siding and over
the edge and down the wall . I have had this happen two house One T1-11 the
other Stucco. Easy fix Caulk ( paintable) were siding meets overhang.
Another possibility is a roof problem that could be tuff to find. It can
also be a window letting rain water in the wall. You can probably hit the
siding with a hose start low work your way up. Try and hit one area Like
corner trim then check for fresh water.You can cut a whole in the wall were
water is on floor reach up inside if insulation is damp/wet it's coming down
the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
I did remove the paneling off of the inside wall, this is some kind of
condensation problem. This is not a leak problem --everything is
sealed.

If the wall is insulated there should be no condensation. If the
isolation is damp water is getting in the wall. . Did you say the roof was
new? If you had no problems before and the Roof is new I would say the roof
has something wrong. Our old house never had a problem for 12 years until
some extreme rains and wind storms hit. It can be a roof flashing up high,
water running down some way. Water can problems can be a real pain to find.
Start eliminating things Hose the siding down low especially corner boards
and joints, Then try the windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

That was my next suggestion. Insulation alone will not stop condensation, in
fact it causes it to happen. Water vapour from the room will travel through
the paneling, through the insulation and condense on the inside of the cold
exterior wall covering and drip down to form a puddle, just the same as it
will on a window, and even faster on a window covered with heavy drapes. You
need a vapour barrier under your paneling. Tarred paper on the insulation is
useless. The standard now is 6 mil poly as a single sheet. If you
cannot/don't want to remove the paneling, you may want to paint with a
vapour barrier paint that is available.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I did remove the paneling off of the inside wall, this is some kind of
condensation problem. This is not a leak problem --everything is
sealed.
Sacramento Dave wrote:
ups.com...