Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Must 10/2MC run through joists?

I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in
about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer just
to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done with
10/2MC?
I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?

I know (or at least I think I know) that it can be done with 8/2 so that
might be worthwhile if 10/2BC isn't okay. Is there such a thing as 8/2
aluminum?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can run 6/2 or 8/3 or larger across the beams. You can run smaller
cables if you install running boards next to them for protection

"Toller" wrote in message
I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in
about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer just
to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done with
10/2MC?
I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?

I know (or at least I think I know) that it can be done with 8/2 so that
might be worthwhile if 10/2BC isn't okay. Is there such a thing as 8/2
aluminum?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller spake thus:

I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in
about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer just
to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done with
10/2MC?

I don't see why not, absent any prohibition on it in your local codes
(you *are* familiar with your local codes, aren't you? Didn't think so).
I see it all over the place. A little ugly if done in a basement space,
but perfectly OK in a crawlspace.

I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?

No. Just remember to be *very* careful stapling it; don't mash the
staples down too hard or you'll likely create a short. I like to drive
the staple in just far enough to make it hard to move the cable under
it. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are right about the 8/3, but 334.15(C) specifically refers to NM.
320.15 says that AC cable can run on the bottom of joints, but the section
on MC does not address the issue. I take that mean it is okay. But is it?

"Toller" wrote in message
I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in
about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer
just to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done
with 10/2MC?
I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?

I know (or at least I think I know) that it can be done with 8/2 so that
might be worthwhile if 10/2BC isn't okay. Is there such a thing as 8/2
aluminum?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in
about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer just
to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done with
10/2MC?
I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?

I know (or at least I think I know) that it can be done with 8/2 so that
might be worthwhile if 10/2BC isn't okay. Is there such a thing as 8/2
aluminum?

Thanks

FWIW ... Up here in Ontario, wiring only has to run through joists if
the area is going to be finished ... otherwise it can be stapled to the
joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

While you were posting, I was looking it up, you are correct, my reference
is only to NM, AC need a little more attention to mechanical damage, but MC,
your free to staple it across the beams

"Toller" wrote in message
I need to run 10/2 the length of my house, which means drilling holes in
about 50 joints and avoiding heating ducts. It would be so much nicer
just to fasten the cable to the bottom of the joists. Can that be done
with 10/2MC?
I've never used MC before; anything difficult about it?

I know (or at least I think I know) that it can be done with 8/2 so that
might be worthwhile if 10/2BC isn't okay. Is there such a thing as 8/2
aluminum?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "bowgus" wrote:

FWIW ... Up here in Ontario, wiring only has to run through joists if
the area is going to be finished ... otherwise it can be stapled to the
joists.

I don't know much about the CEC... but I'll bet you're wrong. Anyone familiar
with the CEC care to comment?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bowgus" wrote in message

FWIW ... Up here in Ontario, wiring only has to run through joists if
the area is going to be finished ... otherwise it can be stapled to the
joists.

Oh good. lots of clothesline that way. No height minimum?

joists mmzz UK diy 7 August 30th 06 08:47 PM
electrical question - Can romex be run though ceiling joists ? TimR Home Repair 11 March 23rd 06 07:01 PM
Furnace low heat run time = A/C low cool run time [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 29th 05 02:56 PM
How to replace two joists? [email protected] UK diy 7 December 6th 04 09:02 PM
Joists. Michael McNeil UK diy 4 February 29th 04 07:28 AM