Posted to alt.home.repair

Default uninsulated ducts

Hi,
most of the duct work in my basement comprises of what looks like a
flexible silver insulation which wraps a pink fiber like insulation
which wraps a black plastic like coil. I noticed that in one place in
my basement, for about 5-6 feet or so, the duct work has no insulation,
just the black plastic is showing. is this a big problem? Does it
cause the overal system to be less efficient?

Also, if i wanted to replace a duct myself, can someone recommend a
resource for reading up on installing ducts and what i would need to do
so? I understand special consideration has to be made regarding the
size of the opening used at the unit self that sources the airflow to
the ducts. is this correct?

lots of question i know...but i have had such a problem with
contractors when it comes to this system, i'd like to just finish it
myself if i can.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've wondered about the logic of this. Even though the exit temp of the duct
is higher after a duct is insulated, isn't the heat given off by an
uninsulated duct going to eventually rise to the living space above and not
be wasted? And isn't the space above the 25 foot run getting a more uniform
temperature rise rather than delivering hot air at the very end of the run?

I recognize that ducts running in attics, unheated spaces, etc. are a
different story and this theory does not apply.

Smarty

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"farseer" writes:

Hi,
most of the duct work in my basement comprises of what looks like a
flexible silver insulation which wraps a pink fiber like insulation
which wraps a black plastic like coil.

You had me up until you said coil?

I noticed that in one place in my basement, for about 5-6 feet or
so, the duct work has no insulation, just the black plastic is
showing. is this a big problem? Does it cause the overal system to
be less efficient?

Doesn't sound like a huge problem, especially considering that at
least in my area, I haven't hardly seen a place around here that
bothers insulating ductwork in conditioned spaces like basements.

You can buy duct wrap to patch up that area. The metal duct itself is
intact right, just the insulation is missing in a small part? You
can get rolls of duct wrap (insulation) at bigger building supply
places.

Personaly, I just insulated a 25' run of duct work that was in an
unconditioned crawl space under a first floor room that was there for
15 years without insulation. I'm in Chicagoland. The exit
temperature of the registers on the end of that baby is sure a lot
better now.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Todd,

What do you mean by the question "metal duct itself is intact, right?".
This is a flexible duct. in most cases there is an foil thick folil
type insulation on the outside of the duct, and then below that is a
layer of pink insulation, followed finally by the thin black plastic
wrapping the coils that make the duct flexible. In this particular
case, all that is there is the thin black plastic.

On Dec 8, 2:23 am, (Todd H.) wrote:
"farseer" writes:
Hi,
most of the duct work in my basement comprises of what looks like a
flexible silver insulation which wraps a pink fiber like insulation
which wraps a black plastic like coil.You had me up until you said coil?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
I've wondered about the logic of this. Even though the exit temp of the
duct is higher after a duct is insulated, isn't the heat given off by an
uninsulated duct going to eventually rise to the living space above and
not be wasted? And isn't the space above the 25 foot run getting a more
uniform temperature rise rather than delivering hot air at the very end of
the run?

I recognize that ducts running in attics, unheated spaces, etc. are a
different story and this theory does not apply.

Mostly correct. Some heat may be lost other ways, but if you want to add
heating or cooling to the room the duct is passing through, insulation is a
waste.

Condensation on A/C ducts. Perry Templeton Home Repair 28 August 3rd 05 08:40 PM
Water in AC ducts Rich Home Repair 8 July 18th 05 05:09 AM
Cooling down an uninsulated shop. Hax Planx Woodworking 61 July 2nd 05 01:25 PM
HVAC ducts Don Phillips Home Repair 5 March 11th 05 11:40 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM