Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need help with bad electrical work

Hi everyone,

About five years ago, my father hired an electrician to run out
electricity to a shed in backyard so it could be used as a spare
bedroom. Unfortunately, the electrician did shoddy work and it is
affecting the electricity in the main house. What is happening is
every time the washing machine or hot water heater is being used, that
particular circuit these things are all on keeps jumping out to "off",
and I have to continually reset it from the box.

What the electrician did was convert an outside electrical outlet and
ran live wiring out from it all the way down to the shed where he then
installed outlets and etc. But I later found out that when the wire
leading out to the shed had been buried, the electrician didn't even
bother to glue the pvc pipes together, and when it rained, water seeped
into the buried pipes and deteriorated the wiring. I then started to
notice problems with the circuit jumping out. . Trying to undo the
damage, my father had to dig it up and drained the water out of the
pvc pipes, they were actually flooded, and then let everything dry out
and glued the pipes which housed the wiring back together as best as
possible before reburying it, but obviously the damage was done. The
circuit is still jumping out.

So, I have a question I'd like to ask. I was thinking about just
cutting off the outside wire to the shed (electricity isn't used in
the shed anymore, anyway), in hopes that eliminating this deteriorating
wire out to the shed would be the solution to the problem I'm having
with the the circuit jumping every time I use the hot water or washing
machine/dryer, but I'm looking for the best way to do it, as I don't
want to cause a further problem or possible fire. so I'd appreciate
some suggestions. As I mentioned before, the wire out to the shed was
run out from an outside electrical outlet, which the electrician then
rigged up so he could run the wire out to the shed. I was just
thinking about unscrewing the cover and then cutting the wires with a
cutter... But how should I best dead end it after cutting the wires?
I was thinking about just taping them up with the proper black tape
after cutting them, and then screwing the plastic cover back over it.
I think this would be safe enough, but would appreciate any suggestions
that would help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

About five years ago, my father hired an electrician to run out
electricity to a shed in backyard so it could be used as a spare
bedroom. Unfortunately, the electrician did shoddy work and it is
affecting the electricity in the main house. What is happening is
every time the washing machine or hot water heater is being used, that
particular circuit these things are all on keeps jumping out to "off",
and I have to continually reset it from the box.

Electrical tape is hideous stuff. It leaves a sticky residue, and the next
"visitor" to that electrical box will want to murder you. Use wire nuts. If
I knew you could find a PROPERLY DESIGNED crimp tool, I'd suggest crimped
wire nuts, but such tools are not easy to find, and probably not worth
buying just for one little job.

After you've disconnected those wires, test your theory by running those
appliances again. Something tells me you might have the same problem, and
that something else is going on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably not a problem with the wire to the shed. Call a licensed
electrician from the yellow pages (a real electrician) and have them look at
your wiring and give you a price. Note that you get what you pay for.

I would suggest having the work done *right* by a licensed electrician.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am not an electrician, but shouldnt major appliances such as the hot
water heater, washing machine/dryer, be on its own individual
line/breaker anyhow? I would think that the outside outlets should not
be on the same circuit as these appliances either. Am I thinking
correctly here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If they are all on the same circuit.........couldnt the problem be with
the coil in the water heater? When it kicks in...shorts out.and trips
the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with the other posters.

1) If the outside wire had a short/damage. The breaker would probably
also give you problems even if the heater or washing machine was not
running.

2) I would not just cut the wires. The wire was probably attached to a
set of screws on the receptacles. Remove and use wire nuts to terminate
the unused wires. If the wires were connected by splicing, remove the
wires and terminate unused wires with wire nuts and then redo the
splice.

3) Assuming the water heater is electric then it should be on its own
circuit. The washer probably also should be on its own circuit.

4) I wonder if you circuit breaker is beginning to fail. Since this
setup worked for five years my guess is that the circuit has always
been borderline overloaded and the breaker is beginning to fail and
needs replacement. I would disconnect the outside wire and see what
happens. In an ideal world, I would run a new circuit for the heater,
another for the washing machine and replace the existing breaker.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Assuming this isn't a troll, just move the water heater
and washing machines each to their own circut.

But don't disconnect the line to the shed,
you need that to power your keyboard during rehearsals.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 7 Dec 2006 07:44:57 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I have no personal knowleddge, but Last time underground conduit was
discussed here, more than one person agreed that the conduit was
always going to fill with water. According to them, The conduit is
there to facilitate replacing wires or adding new ones (because you
can't just pull wire through the dirt), not to keep the wire dry.
Underground wire should be used, so that it doesn't have to be dry.
What letters etc. are printed on the electrical cable. Some should be
visible at one end or the other.

P&M

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi everyone,

About five years ago, my father hired an electrician to run out
electricity to a shed in backyard so it could be used as a spare
bedroom. Unfortunately, the electrician did shoddy work and it is
affecting the electricity in the main house. What is happening is
every time the washing machine or hot water heater is being used, that
particular circuit these things are all on keeps jumping out to "off",
and I have to continually reset it from the box.

What the electrician did was convert an outside electrical outlet and
ran live wiring out from it all the way down to the shed where he then
installed outlets and etc.

What's wrong with that? Run the new line from the load side of a GFCI.
That shouldn't be a problem.

But I later found out that when the wire
leading out to the shed had been buried, the electrician didn't even
bother to glue the pvc pipes together, and when it rained, water seeped
into the buried pipes and deteriorated the wiring. I then started to
notice problems with the circuit jumping out. . Trying to undo the
damage, my father had to dig it up and drained the water out of the
pvc pipes, they were actually flooded, and then let everything dry out
and glued the pipes which housed the wiring back together as best as
possible before reburying it, but obviously the damage was done. The
circuit is still jumping out.

If I went through the effort of digging the line up, I would have
replaced it with direct burial underground feeder cable. If the current
wiring is damaged it should be replaced anyway. With a little more
digging you could replace the current line with UF cable.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi everyone,

About five years ago, my father hired an electrician to run out
electricity to a shed in backyard so it could be used as a spare
bedroom. Unfortunately, the electrician did shoddy work and it is
affecting the electricity in the main house. What is happening is
every time the washing machine or hot water heater is being used, that
particular circuit these things are all on keeps jumping out to "off",
and I have to continually reset it from the box.

What the electrician did was convert an outside electrical outlet and
ran live wiring out from it all the way down to the shed where he then
installed outlets and etc.

What's wrong with that? Run the new line from the load side of a GFCI.
That shouldn't be a problem.

Now I'm no expert on code, but it seems providing power to a seperate
structure by just tapping into an existing 15 or 20 amp branch circuit
via an outside outlet, doesn't sound too cool. Nor does converting a
shed to a living space, for that matter.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In any case the problem most likely isnt the wire to the shed. He
probably has a problem with his main breaker box

Disconnect line use small wire nuts then see what happens.

if the cable is buried shallow the conduit acts to protect it.