Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home heating problem

I have a problem with my home heating system. The heat works fine when it
decides to come on. I have a digital thermostat that is set for different
temps throughout the day. At times the system works great and at other
times it fails to come on when the house temperature drops below the
minimum temperature the thermostat is set to. I've tried to manually turn
the fan on the heater to the "on" position but it won't come on that way
either. The heating system is close enough to the thermostat that I can
hear the fan attempting to come on but it doesn't seem to be successful.
I've replaced the thermostat thinking that it might be a problem with
that. Also, the heater seems more likely to come on after it has been off
for a while. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

-Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have a pro check it all out. Furnaces can be complex and finicky.
Already you've replaced a thermostat and have that expense.

(No, I'm not in the business ! Two things I can't do, furnaces and
soldering that doesn't look like it was done by someone with
Parkinson's)

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

jasone wrote:

I have a problem with my home heating system. The heat works fine when it
decides to come on. I have a digital thermostat that is set for different
temps throughout the day. At times the system works great and at other
times it fails to come on when the house temperature drops below the
minimum temperature the thermostat is set to. I've tried to manually turn
the fan on the heater to the "on" position but it won't come on that way
either. The heating system is close enough to the thermostat that I can
hear the fan attempting to come on but it doesn't seem to be successful.
I've replaced the thermostat thinking that it might be a problem with
that. Also, the heater seems more likely to come on after it has been off
for a while. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

-Jason

Perhaps the bearings on the blower motor are sometimes freezing up,
especially when running has heated them up and caused some expansion.
A little lubrication might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jasone" wrote in message
news:4b29ba8cb2d68485d30fc311d3880f4d@homerepairli ve.com...
I have a problem with my home heating system. The heat works fine when it
decides to come on. I have a digital thermostat that is set for different
temps throughout the day. At times the system works great and at other
times it fails to come on when the house temperature drops below the
minimum temperature the thermostat is set to. I've tried to manually turn
the fan on the heater to the "on" position but it won't come on that way
either. The heating system is close enough to the thermostat that I can
hear the fan attempting to come on but it doesn't seem to be successful.
I've replaced the thermostat thinking that it might be a problem with
that. Also, the heater seems more likely to come on after it has been off
for a while. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Digital thermostats are computers. Read your manual and you will be amazed
about the modes they offer.

If that does not do it, you need a service call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

for a while. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

-Jason

Gas? Oil? Could even be an almost clogged air filter ... learned that
when I did a lot of dusty work in the basement last winter. Gas furnace
"tried" to fire up, but wouldn't. Clogged air filter ... an easy fix.
Also on the new furnace installation, one worked fine, the other not
always. After lots of replacement parts were thrown at it ... under
warranty ... one tech notices ... this wiring harness should be
shielded ... checked against the other furnace ... sure enough ...
there had been an upgrade that my failing furnace did not have. So
electrical noise from the furnace was tripping it into a fail mode. And
that's been my experience with failing gas furnaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

start with the manufacturer's manual and then work your way thru these
links:

http://www.arnoldservice.com/Trouble...g_Problems.htm

http://www.misterfix-it.com/Solutions/5Air.html

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/wiring.html

Heating a home office Andrew UK diy 23 November 6th 06 09:37 AM
PROBLEM WITH MY HOME HEATING FURNACE Hi Ho Silver Home Repair 6 February 20th 06 02:10 PM
Does not heating home damage home? Chris Home Repair 8 February 19th 06 11:14 AM
Heating a home long eddy Home Repair 7 December 12th 05 05:58 AM
Home Heating dianne gigler Home Repair 8 November 11th 05 10:59 PM