Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on insulation plan

Hi,

I currently have *no* insulation in my house whatsoever. While planning
to insulate the attic, I ran into a dilemma:

We have a standard gable roof, where half of the roof slant is the
upstairs room's sloped wall/cieling.

I have no plans to tear down the plaster anytime soon, so I came up
with this:

My roof rafters are 24 on center, so I'd like to take the 2" rigid foam
insulation in the 24" width and slide on piece down each slope so
gravity holds it down against the sloped wall/cieling on the interior
side. There is plenty of space in these eave slopes that there would
still be ample room for air circulation above them (just as there would
be with the standard baffles.)

Any cons to this plan that anyone can see? (Other than the fact that I
will only get about R-10 out of it. I still figure that's better than
nothing. I can touch these slopes at night, and they're FREEZING, so it
can only help, as I see it.

Thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beantown wrote:
[...]

Put ONE in and see if the wall temperature differs from its neighbors. Ought
to be a cheap experiement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just have them blow the cellulose down those cavities when they do the rest
of the attic

--
Steve Barker

"Beantown" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting topic...

[Furious01 u563550]

Games I like to play!

"Beantown" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone.

Thing is: I am doing it myself with batts -- not blown-in. And
absolutely a no-no to fill the entire eave cavities with blown-in!!
Need circulation...

I think I will try a few of the boards over the bedroom slopes to see
if it helps.

I was mainly wondering if anyone had reason to think that the plan as
I've described it would be an inappropriate use of the foam or
whatever...

Any more suggestions, please keep em coming!

Thanks again