Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fan Electrical Question

Hello:

I am replacing an old ceiling fan in my kitchen, which was working fine.

The new fan has a fan and a light (as did the old).

This is the wiring coming out of ceiling:

Ceiling: Red Wire White Wire Two Green Ground Wires

I have two switches controlling the fan, and I can see other wires taped off
in the ceiling. But I just need to turn power on and off to the fan/light,
not control them separately.

The fan instructions say to connect the black and blue from the fan to the
black in the ceiling, except, I don't have a black coming from the ceiling.
There is a red wire coming out of the ceiling, which the red and black wires
of the old fan were attached too.

Can I attach the black and blue in the new fan to the red wire in the
ceiling?

What do I do with the two grounds coming from the ceiling (which are
currently screwed into the metal support box in the ceiling)? Can I tie the
green from the fan to both green wires coming from the ceiling into one
bundle of three?

Thanks for you time.

Dave