Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Draft source?

My house has a short (15') interior wall between two bathrooms. The ends
are up against two closets. All the pipes and septic stack are in the
wall. The bottom rests on a concrete slab and the top is up against the
ceiling. The attic is filled with about 8" of pink bats for insulation.

Recently, I had to open a 8" hole in the closet on one end of the wall
just above the floor. There was a fairly strong cool draft coming out
of the hole. My guess was that the draft was outside air temperature,
but I can't figure how outside air was getting in.

The draft must be coming down from the attic. There are a few places
where electric cables go through into the wall. However, I can't
believe there is enough space around them to admit the amount of air I
was feeling.

Any guesses? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
My house has a short (15') interior wall between two bathrooms. The ends
are up against two closets. All the pipes and septic stack are in the
wall. The bottom rests on a concrete slab and the top is up against the
ceiling. The attic is filled with about 8" of pink bats for insulation.

Recently, I had to open a 8" hole in the closet on one end of the wall
just above the floor. There was a fairly strong cool draft coming out
of the hole. My guess was that the draft was outside air temperature,
but I can't figure how outside air was getting in.

The draft must be coming down from the attic. There are a few places
where electric cables go through into the wall. However, I can't
believe there is enough space around them to admit the amount of air I
was feeling.

You don't wan't to say why you are cutting a hole in a closet wall. It
is outside air from the attic. It is common for there to be a draft
above a partition wall. They are sometimes framed in a way that
creates a kind of chimmey effect. Even a gap between studs can cause
the effect. Many installers make no special effort to prevent a draft
in that area. If you go up in the attic and uncover the bats in that
area above the partition you will see what I mean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
Stubby wrote:

You don't wan't to say why you are cutting a hole in a closet wall.

I am not cutting. I already cut the hole looking for a leak in the
shower plumbing. That has since been resolved.

It
is outside air from the attic. It is common for there to be a draft
above a partition wall. They are sometimes framed in a way that
creates a kind of chimmey effect.

This draft is coming down from the attic. Chimneys usually carry heat up.

Even a gap between studs can cause
the effect.

I don't understand. The studs are on standard 16" centers.

Many installers make no special effort to prevent a draft
in that area.

What would they do?

If you go up in the attic and uncover the bats in that
area above the partition you will see what I mean.

I will. And I intend to buy a smoke gun so I can see where the air is
flowing. My bet is that once I close up my hole, the air flow will
stop. But I still want to know how it is getting in!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even a gap between studs can cause it.
I don't understand. The studs are on standard 16" centers.

The partition wall is at a right angle to the other walls. This would
create the gap where the two walls meet.

Many installers make no special effort to prevent a draft
in that area.

What would they do?

Foam or caulk the gap where the draft is. Stuff glass into any
irregular cavities created by the partition.

If you go up in the attic and uncover the bats in that
area above the partition you will see what I mean.

I will. And I intend to buy a smoke gun so I can see where the air is
flowing. My bet is that once I close up my hole, the air flow will
stop. But I still want to know how it is getting in!

It is getting in through the attic. All attics have vents which allows
cold air to come in. This is part of of a properly designed attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
The partition wall is at a right angle to the other walls. This would
create the gap where the two walls meet.

Now I understand. I believe there is drywall with taped joints on the
ends of the interiors wall in question.

..
It is getting in through the attic. All attics have vents which allows
cold air to come in. This is part of of a properly designed attic.

Right. The attic is outside (the insulation envelope of the house).
I'm trying to find where the outside air is getting into the interior
wall. Improper joints with the walls it butts into is your suggestion,
but I want to check around pipes and wires.

Thanks for the help.