Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stain resistant carpeting

I am considering a major (several thousand dollar) investment in wall to
wall carpeting in an area where food is commonly served, and want a carpet
that looks luxurious but also resists stains. I am leaning towards the
polyester (as opposed to nylon or wool) fiber, and wonder if this is the
better choice. If polyester is the right fiber, does it have some distinct
drawbacks in other areas?

Thanks for opinions and ideas,

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 11:49 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I am considering a major (several thousand dollar) investment in wall to
wall carpeting in an area where food is commonly served, and want a carpet
that looks luxurious but also resists stains. I am leaning towards the
polyester (as opposed to nylon or wool) fiber, and wonder if this is the
better choice. If polyester is the right fiber, does it have some distinct
drawbacks in other areas?

Polypropylene or Nylon.
http://www.flooringamerica.com/Guide...eToCarpet.aspx
http://www.mohawk-flooring.com/carpet/carpet-fibers.asp
http://www.thecarpetshed.co.uk/carpetinfo.htm

Small stains won't be so noticeable in a patterned carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Again, a superb set of references (and I am embarrassed that I let the
carpet salesman give me misleading info). It appears that nylon is indeed an
alternative as is olefin, two options I was discouraged from considering by
the local carpet superstore.

I found your web references to be excellent. Thank you very much for taking
the time to help and provide such good direction.

Smarty

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 24, 11:49 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I am considering a major (several thousand dollar) investment in wall to
wall carpeting in an area where food is commonly served, and want a
carpet
that looks luxurious but also resists stains. I am leaning towards the
polyester (as opposed to nylon or wool) fiber, and wonder if this is the
better choice. If polyester is the right fiber, does it have some
distinct
drawbacks in other areas?

Polypropylene or Nylon.
http://www.flooringamerica.com/Guide...eToCarpet.aspx
http://www.mohawk-flooring.com/carpet/carpet-fibers.asp
http://www.thecarpetshed.co.uk/carpetinfo.htm

Small stains won't be so noticeable in a patterned carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
Again, a superb set of references (and I am embarrassed that I let the
carpet salesman give me misleading info). It appears that nylon is indeed an
alternative as is olefin, two options I was discouraged from considering by
the local carpet superstore.

I found your web references to be excellent. Thank you very much for taking
the time to help and provide such good direction.

Nothing wears like nylon. A good nylon carpet will have fibers with
cross sections spun to hid dirt - usually trilobal - , antistatic
fibers, and finishes to resist stains. Olefin is probably superior to
polyester but there are numerous other factors like weave, basis weight
and color. Good brand name carpet followed by fiber manufacturers
certification will be best bet. Beware of remnant or leftover stores
as you never know what you are going to get.

Frank