Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Sump Pump Installation Help and Recommendations(in virginia)?

I figured out where the water is leaking into the basement. I think i
now need two things:

a sump pump that runs off electricity and off a
battery if the electricity goes out during a storm. I haven't done much
research on what pumps
are available i did see this one(a supersump) after doing a quick google
search but since no price
is mentioned its probably five times the price of other sump pumps.

http://www.waterproofyourhome.com/supersump.htm

2nd thing is a recommendation of sump pump installers in virginia.

So i need opinions and recommendations for both, thanx

If you need to email me
DONT hit reply, click below and click the HERE button:
http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz

Posted to alt.home.repair

robotron -x- wrote:
I figured out where the water is leaking into the basement. I think i
now need two things:

a sump pump that runs off electricity and off a
battery if the electricity goes out during a storm. I haven't done much
research on what pumps
are available i did see this one(a supersump) after doing a quick google
search but since no price
is mentioned its probably five times the price of other sump pumps.

http://www.waterproofyourhome.com/supersump.htm

2nd thing is a recommendation of sump pump installers in virginia.

So i need opinions and recommendations for both, thanx

BTDT. First thing, really, is to keep level of ground-water down, by
looking to gutters and drainage around house. Then man the pumps
if the tide rises underneath.

That latter part may be a non-trivial pursuit, and may get expensive.
If you require installation of under-slab drainage, in addition to
pump,
power, piping. You can't (typically) just run the pump discharge where-
ever close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:13:12 -0500, robotron -x-
wrote:

I figured out where the water is leaking into the basement. I think i
now need two things:

a sump pump that runs off electricity and off a
battery if the electricity goes out during a storm. I haven't done much
research on what pumps
are available i did see this one(a supersump) after doing a quick google
search but since no price
is mentioned its probably five times the price of other sump pumps.

http://www.waterproofyourhome.com/supersump.htm

2nd thing is a recommendation of sump pump installers in virginia.

So i need opinions and recommendations for both, thanx

Can't help you with an installer, sorry.

But for a battery backup pump, look at Basement WatchDog.

I have a dead flat lot, with no sewers and no way to run foundation
drains to daylight. Also cursed with a relatvely high water table.

The gutters drain to a dry well, but the foundation drains runs to an
outside sump about 8 feet down. When it rains hard for more than an
few hours, the water table rises enough that the external sump starts
filling. If the sump pump fails or the power goes out, my basement
start flooding within hours. I have a generator, but that doesn't
help when I'm not home.

So I installed the biggest model Basement watchdog as a backup and
it's already saved my butt. The biggest model can be used as your
only pump, because the power unit will run the pump off the AC if the
power is on. The Battery will run the pump for 7 hours (100% duty
cycle) when the power is off, much longer if the pump runs
intermintently. The control unit has alarms and indicators to tell you
what's going on, and it self tests one a day or so.

But I left the main pump and just added the Watchdog as a backup,
which is the recommended mode.

So I have redundant pumps and protection against power outages.

The big Watchdog ran me about $700 for the pump, battery, check valve,
and misc. stuff. I did the install myself so that's not included in
that price. A lot, but cheaper than messing with a flooded basement.

HTH,

Paul Franklin

(you know what to leave out)