Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roofing... new layer on top of old.

I have a three-tab asphalt shingle roof that I would like to re-roof
myself.
I've heard it is ok to just put asphalt shingles on top of the old (so
you don't have to scrape up all the old shingles) as long as it doesn't
go over three layers deep. Is this true? If so, should I be putting
down tar paper on top of the old shingles before laying the new layer?

Also, is there any disadvantage of going with fancier asphalt shingles
than three tab? I've seen some neat stuff from home depot
(manufacturer GAF) that look really neat, but are definitely not three
tab design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

go over three layers deep. Is this true? If so, should I be putting
down tar paper on top of the old shingles before laying the new layer?

Also, is there any disadvantage of going with fancier asphalt shingles
than three tab? I've seen some neat stuff from home depot
(manufacturer GAF) that look really neat, but are definitely not three
tab design.

It has been done for years, not popular in my area as high winds are
common, and the physics of the longer nails isn't as good.

The Timberline type shingles are an advantage especially for an amateur
roofer; as they ares so asymmetrical to begin with that mistakes show
up less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a three-tab asphalt shingle roof that I would like to re-roof
myself.
I've heard it is ok to just put asphalt shingles on top of the old (so
you don't have to scrape up all the old shingles) as long as it doesn't
go over three layers deep. Is this true? If so, should I be putting
down tar paper on top of the old shingles before laying the new layer?

Also, is there any disadvantage of going with fancier asphalt shingles
than three tab? I've seen some neat stuff from home depot
(manufacturer GAF) that look really neat, but are definitely not three
tab design.

Many codes allow only two layers. I'd not try for three, but it has been
done. More likely to have problems down the road. If you have curling
shingles, definitely get rid of them.

I prefer the look of the "architectural" style over the three tab. No
disadvantage at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Many codes allow only two layers. I'd not try for three, but it has been
done. More likely to have problems down the road. If you have curling
shingles, definitely get rid of them.

I prefer the look of the "architectural" style over the three tab. No
disadvantage at all.

When roofer added new shingles over old several years ago, old shingles
were curled somewhat and he recommended textured type shingle to help
hide any imperfections. Looks great.

Reason for not doing more than 2 layers is excessive weight on roof.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Nov 2006 09:19:40 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a three-tab asphalt shingle roof that I would like to re-roof
myself.
I've heard it is ok to just put asphalt shingles on top of the old (so
you don't have to scrape up all the old shingles) as long as it doesn't
go over three layers deep. Is this true? If so, should I be putting
down tar paper on top of the old shingles before laying the new layer?

Also, is there any disadvantage of going with fancier asphalt shingles
than three tab? I've seen some neat stuff from home depot
(manufacturer GAF) that look really neat, but are definitely not three
tab design.

Before you even think about it, find out if it allowed by local codes.
Some places don't want that much fire fuel on your roof. So one layer
might be the limit.

later,

tom @ www.IRantAndRave.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

It can be done but is not optimum.
Old timers would break off the tabs on the old shingles.
No you don't paper over the old.
The best job is to strip, repair the roof decking as needed paper and
shingle.
There are even newer products than 15lb felt that will keep you
somewhat dry if a noreaster blows the shingles off.
wrote:
I have a three-tab asphalt shingle roof that I would like to re-roof
myself.
I've heard it is ok to just put asphalt shingles on top of the old (so
you don't have to scrape up all the old shingles) as long as it doesn't
go over three layers deep. Is this true? If so, should I be putting
down tar paper on top of the old shingles before laying the new layer?

Also, is there any disadvantage of going with fancier asphalt shingles
than three tab? I've seen some neat stuff from home depot
(manufacturer GAF) that look really neat, but are definitely not three
tab design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

what's better than 15lb felt?

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article .com,
says...
what's better than 15lb felt?

Ice and water shield?

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
what's better than 15lb felt?

Almost anything, but then, I hate that stuff.