Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chimney cricket

Yes, I recently had my roof replaced but they did not build a cricket
behind my chimney. I want to build one myself, but am not sure exactly how
I need to measure for it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgarrison wrote:
Yes, I recently had my roof replaced but they did not build a cricket
behind my chimney. I want to build one myself, but am not sure exactly how
I need to measure for it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Not much to measure. It's as wide as the back of the chimney and the
sides are steep enough to shed water and leaves. A 6/12 pitch is
probably at the lower end for leaves, but more than enough for the
water. Or you could match the pitch of the existing roof it will be
sitting on.

Unfortunately it's not a trivial exercise once the roof is in place.
Cutting into an existing roof and getting the valley flashing right
requires you to open up a good sized working area. Cutting into the
masonry and installing the chimney counterflashing, and getting it
right, is not rocket science, but you must get all of the details
right.

Help! Cave cricket invasion! techie guy Home Repair 5 October 11th 06 02:00 PM
Brick Chimney Peak Fell Inside Chimney During Heavy Rain/ Lightning Storm Mike Home Repair 8 June 27th 06 11:16 PM
Is my chimney ok? Chris Cowley UK diy 5 March 9th 06 01:17 PM
Which Chimney? Andrew UK diy 10 September 18th 04 01:29 AM
Needed: Sencore Super Cricket Service Manual Dean Batute Electronics Repair 1 September 19th 03 12:47 AM