Andrew

Default Which Chimney?

Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

regards,
Andrew

Ian Stirling

Andrew wrote:
Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

Do you have a working fireplace connected to the chimney?
Otherwise, if not capped off, you might try a fog machine.
Or a hoover-bag full of dust, and the hoover on 'blow'.
If you can get to the top, then a radio placed in the fireplace will be
audible through one.
Christian McArdle

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

All sorts of arrangements are possible. You'll need to test to see what is
actually used.

Christian.

tony sayer

In article ,
Andrew writes
Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

regards,
Andrew

Err, light a fire and observe the smoke?.

--
Tony Sayer

Tony Williams

In article ,
OldScrawn wrote:
Err, light a fire and observe the smoke?.

well, eleven fires one after the other?

Half the chimney pots could be ventilators, each
one matching a live pot and providing incoming
air near each fire. Apparently often papered
over 'to stop draughts' in old houses.

--
Tony Williams.

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

Do you have a working fireplace connected to the chimney?
Otherwise, if not capped off, you might try a fog machine.
Or a hoover-bag full of dust, and the hoover on 'blow'.
If you can get to the top, then a radio placed in the fireplace will be
audible through one.

Reminds me of an old "Broons"[1] cartoon ... The chimney sweeps were round
and the twins were asking Pa how the identified the right chimney... Pa
Broon demonstrated by kneeling down in-front if his fireplace and shouts
up "Helllllloooooooo"... And 5 seconds later gets covered in soot!

Gordon

[1] The Broons are a large Scottish family living in a Tenement area of
Glasgow - in comic book format, at any rate. Published every week in the
Sunday Post... Maybe still is, I don't know. Not lived in Gods country
or bought a copy of the Sunday Post for many years now, alas...
Chris Lawson

Andrew wrote:

Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

regards,
Andrew

The breasts must be huge. ;-)
Ian Stirling

Christian McArdle wrote:
_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

All sorts of arrangements are possible. You'll need to test to see what is
actually used.

A little over 450 million, I believe.

Christian McArdle

The breasts must be huge. ;-)

You've always wanted to say that publicly haven't you?

;-)

Christian.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:13:37 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

About the only thing I would be sure is that that the higher floors will be
in the centre of each group.
By carefully measuring the chimney breasts and the position of the
builders openings you might be able to deduce weather left or right has
the more chimneys passing through on each floor.

Lighting a/some smoke pellet(s) would be the certain way easier than a
fire in each place.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

chris French

In message , OldScrawn
writes
Err, light a fire and observe the smoke?.

well, eleven fires one after the other?

smoke pellets
--
Chris French, Leeds

[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Advice for gas chimney PoP UK diy 4 October 18th 03 06:19 PM
Chimney cap question Susan Home Repair 8 July 29th 03 08:20 PM