Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light fixture installation, which wire to connect

I am trying to install a new light fixture in a new condo.
In the fixture box, I can see wire nuts covering red, white, black,
blue and green wires.
It is normally to the white and black. But in this case one do I wire
my light fixture to? I live in Ontario.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Most likely white and one of the colors, except green. You need to connect a
test light to the white wire and each color,one at a time, to see which
other wire gives you voltage when the switch is turned on, and disconnects
voltage when the switch is turned off

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to install a new light fixture in a new condo.
In the fixture box, I can see wire nuts covering red, white, black,
blue and green wires.
It is normally to the white and black. But in this case one do I wire
my light fixture to? I live in Ontario.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am trying to install a new light fixture in a new condo.
In the fixture box, I can see wire nuts covering red, white, black,
blue and green wires.
It is normally to the white and black. But in this case one do I wire
my light fixture to? I live in Ontario.

Black, red, and blue are all possible "hot" wires. White is always
neutral. Green is always ground. I'm not sure why you have a blue wire
in there; it's very rare to see three hot wires in a box. Perhaps this
is wired with the box always hot and a switch leg dropped down the wall,
and the blue wire is for possible future installation of a ceiling fan
controlled by a wall switch? Or someone has gotten fancy with the
wiring and you've got two phases in that box? (you can save a wire if
you're running a long run from the breaker box of two circuits by having
two "hots" on opposite phases; the neutral can then safely be shared
between them.)

In any case, what I would do would be to simply take all the wire nuts
off, and test for voltage between the black and white, then red and
white, then blue and white and see which one is controlled by your wall
switch. The light fixture should be wired with the black wire of the
light to whichever of the three is appropriate, and white to white. If
you don't have a test light or multimeter, you could simply hang the
light fixture from the box with a piece of scrap wire, wire up the
neutral, and touch the black wire to the various potential hot wires to
see what works. Grasping the wires by the insulation, of course, not
the copper... (hey, some people need to have this mentioned to them.)

All of the above is ASSuming that wiring in Canuckia conforms to the
same codes and standards as it does here in the YooEss.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM remove this wrote:
Most likely white and one of the colors, except green. You need to connect a
test light to the white wire and each color,one at a time, to see which
other wire gives you voltage when the switch is turned on, and disconnects
voltage when the switch is turned off

Then it must be the red. The red is the only one with one wire,
suggesting that it is intended for this light fixture. I had connected
it to the red and white on another fixture. Thought I would ask just
to make sure. And what are the other colors anyway - the blues and
greens?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Generally the other wires, regardless of their color, are bringing that
circuit, or another circuit, to some other outlet, switch, or light

wrote in message
ps.com...

RBM remove this wrote:
Most likely white and one of the colors, except green. You need to
connect a
test light to the white wire and each color,one at a time, to see which
other wire gives you voltage when the switch is turned on, and
disconnects
voltage when the switch is turned off

Then it must be the red. The red is the only one with one wire,
suggesting that it is intended for this light fixture. I had connected
it to the red and white on another fixture. Thought I would ask just
to make sure. And what are the other colors anyway - the blues and
greens?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks RBM

RBM remove this wrote:
Generally the other wires, regardless of their color, are bringing that
circuit, or another circuit, to some other outlet, switch, or light

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks nate. The blues are a bunch of 3 or 4, suggesting that it is
not a control wire. Does that indicate anything?
Kim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to install a new light fixture in a new condo.
In the fixture box, I can see wire nuts covering red, white, black,
blue and green wires.
It is normally to the white and black. But in this case one do I wire
my light fixture to? I live in Ontario.

Ontario like in Canada-- or California?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing this is THHN in conduit? Sounds like it is feeding another
circuit in the same area from an opposite phase. Does a white wire
leave the box in the same direction as the blue? Or you could just
measure voltage across black and blue to see; I'm guessing you'd find
240V instead of 120V (use a multimeter or 240V bulb for this; you don't
want to use a regular light bulb as a test light, it will blow almost
immediately.)

nate