Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof leaking, need repair service

Hi,

My roof started leaking one week ago, and we asked the guy who fixed
the roof before and he can't find where the leak comes from (the guy is
pretty honest and nice, but he seems to only know how to install it,
doesn't know how to troubleshoot it).

Can somebody suggest what should I do, can you please recommend some
service that can help identify the problem then fix it? I am living in
Bellevue, WA area.

Thanks,
Min

Posted to alt.home.repair

May want to give him a garden hose, flood the roof at ever-increasing
heights, try to see when the leak starts.
*should*, however, be able to detect from visual dry inspection.
Chimney crickets, tho, are notorious for leaking w/o a clear reason--proly
down the side of the chimney inside the tar/paper.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Hilbert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My roof started leaking one week ago, and we asked the guy who fixed
the roof before and he can't find where the leak comes from (the guy is
pretty honest and nice, but he seems to only know how to install it,
doesn't know how to troubleshoot it).

Can somebody suggest what should I do, can you please recommend some
service that can help identify the problem then fix it? I am living in
Bellevue, WA area.

Thanks,
Min

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hilbert" wrote in news:1163656137.665764.209780
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

My roof started leaking one week ago, and we asked the guy who fixed
the roof before and he can't find where the leak comes from (the guy is
pretty honest and nice, but he seems to only know how to install it,
doesn't know how to troubleshoot it).

Can somebody suggest what should I do, can you please recommend some
service that can help identify the problem then fix it? I am living in
Bellevue, WA area.

Thanks,
Min

Frequent problem areas are chimney flashing, vent stack flashing or any
flashing, etc. Other things might be anywhere on the roof where a nail or
staple is.

If YOU personally are able to go into the attic area, go up while it's
raining with a bright light. Go vertically above where it comes in and
hits the ceiling. Look for a water trail going up the roof pitch and
follow it. Water can run along underside of sheathing, along trusses,
wiring, anything.

Could be as simple as a staple/nail pop, stack boot flashing nails need a
dab of roofing cement. Could be chimney flashing is so bad it needs
replacement. Ya just gotta get up there and look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hilbert" wrote in message
Hi,

My roof started leaking one week ago, and we asked the guy who fixed
the roof before and he can't find where the leak comes from (the guy is
pretty honest and nice, but he seems to only know how to install it,
doesn't know how to troubleshoot it).

Can somebody suggest what should I do, can you please recommend some
service that can help identify the problem then fix it? I am living in
Bellevue, WA area.

Thanks,
Min

I would have to disagree with you, on the point the guy knows how to
install a roof.

I was in the construction trades for 24+ years, if you don't know where the
critical areas are, you're not going to install/fabricate correctly.

In my area, there is a small local paper put out, where most advertisers
are local. There are some that make their living, from others mistakes.
Some advertising roofing, are small time operators, which really know their
stuff.

Find a roofer with a brake, not that they'll need it for your project, but
real roofers have a brake to bend and fabricate their own flashing. If they
don't have a brake, they don't specialize in roofing. They can say they do,
but it's a must have tool of the trade, unless someone just does areas
without junctures/chimneys.

Do expect to pay someone to find the leak. It may cost more to find, than
to actually fix it.