Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low Temp Thermostat?

Hiya,
I just purchased a unit heater for my garage. I plan to have gas lines run
sometime in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to find
a thermostat. It just needs a standard 24V thermostat but I'm having a
hard time finding one that has a temperature range that dips down into the
30's. Most times, I'm thinking I just want to keep it above freezing just
to protect all my paints, finishes, etc... Anyone know of such a beast?
Essentially something that has a temp range of 35-70 or so would be ideal.
Thanks for any inputs.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Hiya,
I just purchased a unit heater for my garage. I plan to have gas lines run
sometime in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to find
a thermostat. It just needs a standard 24V thermostat but I'm having a
hard time finding one that has a temperature range that dips down into the
30's. Most times, I'm thinking I just want to keep it above freezing just
to protect all my paints, finishes, etc... Anyone know of such a beast?
Essentially something that has a temp range of 35-70 or so would be ideal.
Thanks for any inputs.
Cheers,
cc

The Honeywell T87F (round style) is available down to 35F.
It's probably special order .

You probably could modify the calibration on a plain jane model
easily enough.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya,
I just purchased a unit heater for my garage. I plan to have gas lines

run
sometime in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to

find
a thermostat. It just needs a standard 24V thermostat but I'm having a
hard time finding one that has a temperature range that dips down into the
30's. Most times, I'm thinking I just want to keep it above freezing

just
to protect all my paints, finishes, etc... Anyone know of such a beast?
Essentially something that has a temp range of 35-70 or so would be ideal.
Thanks for any inputs.
Cheers

They exist for sure. There are even power "blocks" that you plug
electric heaters into and plug into the wall that turn on at 35F for
pump house freeze protection. You might need to search in industrial
or farm equipment areas.

I have a White-Rodgers 266-1 that I believe covers that range.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I just purchased a unit heater for my garage. I plan to have gas lines run
sometime in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to find
a thermostat. It just needs a standard 24V thermostat but I'm having a
hard time finding one that has a temperature range that dips down into the
30's.

Take the old-school analog thermostat, mount it with a single screw, and
tilt the whole body to get down to the temp you want. Calibrate with a
thermometer.

My current garage is done this way...there are tick marks on the wall
for 1, 2, and 4 degrees C.

Chris