Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
pj pj is offline

Default Chipmunks vs.new tree

It's me again. Your advice on fertilizing my newly transplanted tree was
invaluable ... the tree is doing very well. (At least, it hasn't died yet.)
I have a problem with it, though, and need more advice.

A chipmunk has moved into the soil surrounding the tree. I found a large
amount of the dirt piled up around a hole inches from the tree, and knew
right away what it was. (I have the little critters all around my
property.) I filled in the hole, and scattered moth balls around the
perimeter of the transplant; he dug another hole. I put a couple of the
mothballs down into the new hole, and filled it in ... he dug another hole
and tossed the mothballs out!! Maybe all the holes are beneficial to the
new little tree, (think aeration?) I just don't know if he's going to harm
the roots or not.

I read about a repellent called "Ropel", but it isn't available in New York
State. It's supposed to be the best anti-chipmunk stuff there is. I really
don't want to lose this new little tree; am I in trouble?
-- pj

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
Tree Root Problem cover Home Ownership 2 August 15th 06 02:53 AM
Grass will not grow Steve K Home Repair 31 May 20th 06 12:45 AM
Black Walnut Question tdstr Woodworking 19 April 12th 06 08:42 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM