Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Chipmunks vs.new tree

"pj" wrote in message
It's me again. Your advice on fertilizing my newly transplanted tree was
invaluable ... the tree is doing very well. (At least, it hasn't died
yet.) I have a problem with it, though, and need more advice.

A chipmunk has moved into the soil surrounding the tree. I found a large
amount of the dirt piled up around a hole inches from the tree, and knew
right away what it was. (I have the little critters all around my
property.) I filled in the hole, and scattered moth balls around the
perimeter of the transplant; he dug another hole. I put a couple of the
mothballs down into the new hole, and filled it in ... he dug another hole
and tossed the mothballs out!! Maybe all the holes are beneficial to the
new little tree, (think aeration?) I just don't know if he's going to
harm the roots or not.

I read about a repellent called "Ropel", but it isn't available in New
York State. It's supposed to be the best anti-chipmunk stuff there is. I
really don't want to lose this new little tree; am I in trouble?
-- pj

I could be wrong, but I don't think a chipmunk's going to hurt the tree.
However, if you want to be extra cautious, get a roll of what's known as
hardware cloth (a dumb name, since it is metal, not cloth, but that's how
it's labeled in stores). Here's what it looks like:
http://www.twpinc.com/galvanized.html

Home & garden centers and hardware stores carry the stuff. Lay it on the
ground around the tree and cover with mulch. You'll need a pair of metal
shears to cut it, and a pair of leather garden gloves. The edges are sharp.

Forget the chemicals. Enough is enough already.