Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stairs and laminate flooring

I want to replace the carpeting on my stairs with laminate flooring.
Simple enough for the stairs and risers, but the stringers are also
carpeted and I don't have a clue as to how to "dress" them, other than
possibly leaving the carpet on them (the stringers), which I would
rather not do.

Does anyone have suggestions please? Thanks!

Bill in Alberta

Posted to alt.home.repair

Carpeted stringers make a certain fashion statement !

Personally I would not do laminate stairs because they're so slick - a
spill, or running down the stairs in socks, is dangerous. Well, if
you're me it's dangerous.

Are the stairs, risers, and stringer "construction grade" - as in, not
meant to be seen ?

wrote:
I want to replace the carpeting on my stairs with laminate flooring.
Simple enough for the stairs and risers, but the stringers are also
carpeted and I don't have a clue as to how to "dress" them, other than
possibly leaving the carpet on them (the stringers), which I would
rather not do.

Does anyone have suggestions please? Thanks!

Bill in Alberta

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, stringers are ugly under the existing carpeting. I hear what you
are saying about the laminate on stairs...solid oak is a much safer
route.

wrote:
I want to replace the carpeting on my stairs with laminate flooring.
Simple enough for the stairs and risers, but the stringers are also
carpeted and I don't have a clue as to how to "dress" them, other than
possibly leaving the carpet on them (the stringers), which I would
rather not do.

Does anyone have suggestions please? Thanks!

Bill in Alberta- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Carpeted stringers make a certain fashion statement !

Personally I would not do laminate stairs because they're so slick - a
spill, or running down the stairs in socks, is dangerous.

Don't confuse cheap laminate with good laminate. I've had my stairs done
for many years now and it is safer than the carpet that used to be on there.
I walk up and down them often with just my socks and never had the slighted
bit of slipperiness. The better brands make a bull nose especially for the
treads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the carpeting on my stairs with laminate flooring.
Simple enough for the stairs and risers, but the stringers are also
carpeted and I don't have a clue as to how to "dress" them, other than
possibly leaving the carpet on them (the stringers), which I would
rather not do.

Does anyone have suggestions please? Thanks!

Bill in Alberta

Not being able to see them it is difficult to say exactly what would work.
In my case, I just stained them to match the laminate. On one side of a
split stair it was open. I used a pine board to make a side and stained
that also.

Laminate on Stairs Tom W Home Repair 4 May 11th 06 08:28 PM
Laminate flooring - what to do with stairs [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 18th 06 03:18 PM
remove laminate wood on stairs [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 13th 06 07:28 PM
Change laminate wood stairs to receive carpet [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 11th 06 05:15 PM
Laying Laminate flooring in hallway Mortimer UK diy 17 February 3rd 05 02:29 PM