Posted to alt.home.repair

Default appliances burning up (the plugs)

Hi guys .. the plugs on my appliances keep burning up.

A friend said something about something possibly being crossed at the
mains box (fuse box)

just bought this house, its a rental

any ideas

thanks
mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike_in_SD wrote:
Hi guys .. the plugs on my appliances keep burning up.

A friend said something about something possibly being crossed at the
mains box (fuse box)

just bought this house, its a rental

any ideas

thanks
mike

Could you describe a little more for us.

Describe how it looks; how often it happens; same outlet; same
appliance; do fuses blow; how old is the house; are the plugs original
equipment or replacements?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike_in_SD wrote:

Hi guys .. the plugs on my appliances keep burning up.

A friend said something about something possibly being crossed at the
mains box (fuse box)

just bought this house, its a rental

any ideas

thanks
mike

I'd guess your wall recepticals are old and far from virginal. the
female contacts are probably loose and aren't making good tight low
resistance electrical connections with the male plug blades on your
appliance cords, causing heating when current passes through that
resistance.

Replacing the recepticals with GOOD quality ones using screwed
connection to the house wiring should make the problem go away.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Replce all receptables and plugs with high quality new ones/

poor connection of worn c0ntacts causes heating of plugs/

use circuit tester 6 bucks to confirm receptables are wired right both
before you begin and after your finished.

are your receptables 3 prong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike_in_SD wrote:
Hi guys .. the plugs on my appliances keep burning up.

A friend said something about something possibly being crossed at the
mains box (fuse box)

just bought this house, its a rental

any ideas

thanks
mike

I would replace the sockets. Make sure you don't get any of those with
the spring-type, wire connectors. Then plug in an appliance (like a
1200W space heater for example) with a good plug and see if it gets hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news:Je6dnReDi96MRcnYnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@conversent. net...
Mike_in_SD wrote:

Hi guys .. the plugs on my appliances keep burning up.

A friend said something about something possibly being crossed at the
mains box (fuse box)

just bought this house, its a rental

any ideas

thanks
mike

I'd guess your wall recepticals are old and far from virginal. the
female contacts are probably loose

It actually seemed funny to see that word used appropriately. TOO MANY
usenet posters write "loose" when they mean "lose".

and aren't making good tight low
resistance electrical connections with the male plug blades on your
appliance cords, causing heating when current passes through that
resistance.

Yes, I have had problems with loose contacts in outlets. I even used
one where you couldn't get a plug to fit unless you squeeze the
prongs together while inserting it.

Replacing the recepticals with GOOD quality ones using screwed
connection to the house wiring should make the problem go away.

There should be some where you can insert the wires in holes in the
back, and tighten screws around them. I have used switches and GFCIs
with those. You get the ease of the holes combined with the security
of screws.

BTW, I just watched a neighbor wiring a wall (to put a closet in a
big room). He used 14/2 Romex instead of 12/2 because the 12/2 was too
big for the backstab holes. When I installed receptacles, I used the
screws.

HTH,

Jeff

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, I just watched a neighbor wiring a wall (to put a closet in a
big room). He used 14/2 Romex instead of 12/2 because the 12/2 was too
big for the backstab holes. When I installed receptacles, I used the
screws.

HTH,

Jeffapplicable."

I dont believe any 15 amp receptables accept more than 14 gauge wires
unless you wrap them around screws.... ran into that when upgrading my
batrhroom the GFCIs made for a tight fit i ended up going with 20 amp
receptables, the only 20 amp ones in the house.

my memorey of that some 10 years ago was a big hassle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2006 11:08:56 -0800, "
wrote:

BTW, I just watched a neighbor wiring a wall (to put a closet in a
big room). He used 14/2 Romex instead of 12/2 because the 12/2 was too
big for the backstab holes. When I installed receptacles, I used the
screws.

HTH,

Jeffapplicable."

I dont believe any 15 amp receptables accept more than 14 gauge wires
unless you wrap them around screws....

The older ones would.

ran into that when upgrading my
batrhroom the GFCIs made for a tight fit i ended up going with 20 amp
receptables, the only 20 amp ones in the house.

my memorey of that some 10 years ago was a big hassle

I stopped using the backstab connections, after reading this group.

That neighbor I mentioned before has 4 Romex cables to connect to a
receptacle. He connected 2 to the backstab holes and the other 2 to
the screws. I suppose I would have used pigtails.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have your friend fix it, he seems to know what's wrong.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

.. .

13 amp plugs - memories john UK diy 175 January 13th 06 06:00 PM
Replacement for space heater with burning smell [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 18th 05 06:46 PM
Wood burning stove/boiler recommendations wanted [email protected] UK diy 3 October 31st 05 03:11 PM
Shower Switch burning. [email protected] UK diy 12 September 25th 05 04:16 PM
Built-in Kitchen appliances Lamb UK diy 10 January 26th 04 08:35 PM