Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default appliances burning up (the plugs)

On 11 Nov 2006 11:08:56 -0800, "
wrote:

BTW, I just watched a neighbor wiring a wall (to put a closet in a
big room). He used 14/2 Romex instead of 12/2 because the 12/2 was too
big for the backstab holes. When I installed receptacles, I used the
screws.

HTH,

Jeffapplicable."

I dont believe any 15 amp receptables accept more than 14 gauge wires
unless you wrap them around screws....

The older ones would.

ran into that when upgrading my
batrhroom the GFCIs made for a tight fit i ended up going with 20 amp
receptables, the only 20 amp ones in the house.

my memorey of that some 10 years ago was a big hassle

I stopped using the backstab connections, after reading this group.

That neighbor I mentioned before has 4 Romex cables to connect to a
receptacle. He connected 2 to the backstab holes and the other 2 to
the screws. I suppose I would have used pigtails.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."